Hello from Ryan in San Diego

Chairman

Hi all, just received a #3 (analog) today for Father's Day!  Luckily I knew about this gift when it was ordered so I started reading the forum every day during the past week.  After reading the forums, I've decided to go with pork back ribs for my first smoke (thank you to all members who've posted their experiences).

I was able to season the #3 today and plan to smoke 3 racks of ribs tomorrow.  I'm trying a few different methods.

Rack#1: Salt overnight for 12 hours, 2 tablespoons Memphis Dust in the morning prior to smoke
Rack#2: No salt overnight, 2 tablespoons Memphis Dust in the morning prior to smoke
Rack#3: Salt overnight for 12 hours, 3 or 4 tablespoons Memphis Dust in the morning prior to smoke

Going with 2 pieces of hickory wood (total weight 3.0oz) and plan to set temp at 235.  I'm still not sure if I should peek at 4.5 hours or wait until 5 hours?

I'll be sure to give an update along with pics!

Ryan

The #3 is a good choice (it was mine too).
If I dust ribs the night before, I wrap in plastic.
I love the Memphis dust recipe because it lets me salt individually so I can have lightly salted ribs for those on salt restricted diets and regular for the rest of us.

Results of 1st smoke: No peek until 4.5 hours, seemed ready.  Dry brine overnight made a huge difference!  The non-brined rack was very bland, needed sauce to eat.  The 2 brined racks were "okay".  They seemed a little dry to my liking, but still eatable.

The following day I did my second smoke.  This time 6 racks of ribs with the following changes: Increase dry brine salt amount to 1 tsp/lb. of meat (instead of 1/2 tsp), 4oz hickory (instead of 3oz), lowered cooking temp to 225 (from 235),  4 tablespoons of Memphis Dust (2 tablespoons on each side of rack), placed SI#3 under an umbrella (instead of in direct sunlight in middle of the day), used warm water in water pans (instead of beer), used chip guard.

Results of 2nd smoke: No peek until 4.5 hours, seemed ready.  EXCELLENT!!!  Started eating off the first rack and wrapped the remaining 5 racks in foil.  As the night progressed the ribs got even BETTER.  Numerous compliments from friends (I was hosting a poker night) saying these were some of the best ribs they've eaten.

Again, a huge thank you to everyone on this forum!  First time trying to attach pics to a post, hopefully it works!

Attachments

• 3 racks.jpeg
    3 racks.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 3 racks in SI3.jpeg
    3 racks in SI3.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 3 racks done.jpeg
    3 racks done.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 6 racks.jpeg
    6 racks.jpeg