Hello from outside of Pittsburgh,Pa.

Carp210

Been lurking for a few days and I like what I see here.  I'm retired and looking to make the move to a electric smoker from my Weber 22.5, that I plan to sell shortly. I had narrowed my search down to the Mes40 or the Bradley OBS.  Boy am I glad I found this place.  Still doing my research but I'm planing to make a purchase within a couple weeks.  I like to over research so I don't end up with buyers remorse.  ;D 

Dave, there will be no buyer's remorse with the Smokin-It. I used a Weber Smokey Mountain for over ten years. You will enjoy the ease and no fuss of these smokers. Commonly called Lazy Q. ALL stainless steel. Solid. Don't use special wood products. Seal and hold moisture incredibly well. I've been using mine (bought in December) in the frigid winter temps of Wisconsin, and love it! I never used my WSM in the winter. There are many advantages to the Smokin-It over other brands. I'm sure all of the old-timers on this forum can go into great detail over comparisons to the brands you are considering. Which size SI are you are you looking at?

I almost went with the MES 40 too, but thankfully was steered toward the Smokin-It. I also researched the comparable CookShack and Smokin-Tex smokers. But, found that Smokin-it provides the best bang for the buck as well as a 3-year warranty that is quite a bit longer than the comparable models.

Plus, the added benefit of this awesome forum, going with the Smokin-It was just the right choice for me.

Let us know if you have any questions.

SconnieQ said:
Dave, there will be no buyer's remorse with the Smokin-It. I used a Weber Smokey Mountain for over ten years. You will enjoy the ease and no fuss of these smokers. Commonly called Lazy Q. ALL stainless steel. Solid. Don't use special wood products. Seal and hold moisture incredibly well. I've been using mine (bought in December) in the frigid winter temps of Wisconsin, and love it! I never used my WSM in the winter. There are many advantages to the Smokin-It over other brands. I'm sure all of the old-timers on this forum can go into great detail over comparisons to the brands you are considering. Which size SI are you are you looking at?

As of today I am leaning towards the #2.  My typical cooks are not that big. One whole brisket.  Next cook might be two butts.  Maybe three St Louis racks.  I never mix ribs, brisket and butts in the same cook.  I can only eat so much.

NDKoze said:
I almost went with the MES 40 too, but thankfully was steered toward the Smokin-It. I also researched the comparable CookShack and Smokin-Tex smokers. But, found that Smokin-it provides the best bang for the buck as well as a 3-year warranty that is quite a bit longer than the comparable models.

Plus, the added benefit of this awesome forum, going with the Smokin-It was just the right choice for me.

[/quote

I went to Sams yesterday and looked at the Masterbuilt glass door for probably 45 minutes.  I got a funny feeling in my stomach that this was not the quality that I am looking for in a replacement smoker.  My Weber is solid and cooks great but I am at a point that I want easy BBQ.  The MES40 is probably a good smoker at its price point just not for me.   

The #2 sounds like a good choice. I went with the #1 since I usually only cook for 1-3 people. Generally I smoke 1 butt, 1 whole brisket (point and flat separated), 1-2 chickens, 2-3 racks of ribs, salmon, all fit fine. I haven't tried a turkey yet, but I think I can fit a 12-14 lb turkey with no problem with my #1. With my WSM, I felt obligated to "load the thing up", and ended up freezing a lot. My goal is to cook what I can eat, and freeze less. Cook smaller quantities, more often. Fresh from the smoker! So much less preparation and easy clean-up with these smokers, that you'll want to smoke more often.

Yeah, the glass door on the MB makes no sense to me. You want to build up a good seasoning inside your smoker, and it would get blacked out. And why would you want to clean that. I see no advantages to "visually" looking at your food. You need to test for doneness by internal temperature, or actually tugging at the bones or the toothpick test with ribs. There's nothing you can tell by eyesight with smoking. I think the glass door is more of a marketing gimmick.

Welcome from Delaware, Dave!  I have a #2 and it works perfectly for my wife and two kids.    I can get more than enough ribs in it for neighborhood parties, and could fit two BBs side by side if desired.  I have also done two 5# whole chickens side by side as well.  Welcome the SI family, and happy smok'in!  Cheers

I think you've already talked yourself out of the Masterbuilt, but I, like you, had some smoking experience already on the Weber Smokey Mountain, looking for an EasyQ upgrade, and researched electric smokers for several months before purchasing this. I dismissed the Masterbuilt pretty quick, and only spent all that extra time lurking around on the SI site and forums already knowing that this was THE ONE. I could actually give you a whole LIST of things I thought are inferior quality with the Masterbuilt, but I don't want to be a negative Nelly. They are probably okay smokers for their intended market. But being that you are already an experienced smoker who wants a step up, I won't gunk up this forum with that. Unless you still have doubts.

Welcome Dave. I am not going to bash anything here, but I bought a MES 40 from Sam's first. Returned it 3 weeks later used. Nuff said. BTW I still have brand new parts and a new cover if anyone's interested.

Simple, my #3 works the way it is advertised. Great Q. The support on this forum is the best. Size is your choice. If you liked the size of the MES 40 like I did then you might prefer the #3. I never fill it up but who cares.

As for Bradleys, I didn't even look that hard at them due to the pucks. I didn't want to have to buy special pucks, for the goofy puck feeding system. Can't speak to the quality of the Q, and other advantages of the puck feeding system, but it was not much on my radar. I like the freedom of selecting my own wood, wood combos, chunks vs. chips, etc. With the SI's, you really don't need to keep feeding wood into the smoker. It maintains what seems to be a proper oxygen intake to allow loading of your wood (a relatively small amount by the way) at the beginning, without having to add more. Just shut the door and off you go. I've found the smoke is sustained properly through your meat's optimal temperature range in which it can absorb the smoke flavor (up to 140 degrees F internal temp) without having to ever add extra wood. And the SI takes chunks, splits or chips (whatever you desire, chunks being what you want for long smokes, like brisket and butts).

Carp210 said:
NDKoze said:

I went to Sams yesterday and looked at the Masterbuilt glass door for probably 45 minutes.  I got a funny feeling in my stomach that this was not the quality that I am looking for in a replacement smoker.  My Weber is solid and cooks great but I am at a point that I want easy BBQ.  The MES40 is probably a good smoker at its price point just not for me.   

That is funny, because I did the same thing. I went to Sam's and looked at the smoker actually partially with the intent of buying it. But something just didn't feel right about it. The door didn't look like it closed very well and actually looked like it was crooked.

After some research, I found this site and have been very happy with my purchase.

It sounds like the #2 will be a good size for you based on your anticipated usage. For a few dollars more I opted for the #3 and really like it. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Barrel99 said:
If you liked the size of the MES 40 like I did then you might prefer the #3. I never fill it up but who cares.

Arnie - great point. Once you get one of these and your friends, extended family, and neighbors you never met before find out, they might be coming around more...

Welcome Dave...You will not look back at a decision to go with a #2 over a Bradley or Masterbuilt.  Like you, I was doing the same research and then stumbled completely by accident on the Smokin-it Model #2.  I purchased it (arrived in 3 days after order), assembled the cart and am waiting to season (want to install the permanent temp probe on clean equipment) and break the beast in.  If you have any doubts, they should be about deciding between the Smokin-it models and if you want to go large for them tailgates!!!....the #2 will suit me just fine (I think :o)...

FYI, born and raised in PA and went to school at Pitt and ended up living there for 10 years...what a great town!!  Really miss the place!!!

P2B

I too stumbled here by accident.  Was on You Tube looking at  smoker videos and ran across one by a man named Ed Pitts.  A older gentleman doing a video about auber controllers. You could tell he was truly excited about his Smokin-it smoker and it is one of the most sincere videos I have ever seen on You Tube. I watched it a few times and it forced me to find this site.  I have to thank Mr Pitts for the taking the time to do a few videos that I truly enjoyed.

Dave
You won't find a better smoker for the price and quality.  I have a #3 and its a beast.  I don't smoke that much but the extra space to smoke a ribs whole was worth the extra $$$ imo.

So glad you found us, Dave!  If you've browsed around here much, you've probably noticed I'm more than a little excited about Smokin-It smokers! ;)  I was in the same boat as you, and your story sounds just like mine, close to 2 years ago!  You won't have buyer's remorse, and won't have any regrets.  Go with the biggest one that fits your budget - easy to do less in a big one, but not so easy to do more in a small one!  I have a #1 and a #2, and absolutely love the #2. 

Welcome from Iowa, Dave! I just have a few words of advice for you... Buy the SI #2! you won't have remorse unless it's related to how much more meat you could have smoked so that you'd have plenty of joyful leftovers. I just finished 2 Boston Butt's in my smoker tonight and they put my friends into a food coma (this is a good thing...trust me). I believe after inviting a few friends over for dinner they will eventually start buying the meat, having me smoke it for them and we all share in the joy! Lots of meat... Lots of leftovers!

A foodsaver vacuum system should be on your radar as well if you get the smoker and have freezer space. The leftovers are just as good or better than the first time you eat the food!

TmanEater said:
Welcome from Iowa, Dave! I just have a few words of advice for you... Buy the SI #2! you won't have remorse unless it's related to how much more meat you could have smoked so that you'd have plenty of joyful leftovers. I just finished 2 Boston Butt's in my smoker tonight and they put my friends into a food coma (this is a good thing...trust me). I believe after inviting a few friends over for dinner they will eventually start buying the meat, having me smoke it for them and we all share in the joy! Lots of meat... Lots of leftovers!

A foodsaver vacuum system should be on your radar as well if you get the smoker and have freezer space. The leftovers are just as good or better than the first time you eat the food!

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a #2 along with the Auber.  I have owned and used a Food Saver for over twenty years and would not be able to function without one.  It is amazing that I have found very little negative about Smokin-it on line.  Seems the people that own one really, really love cooking with it .  I 'll be one of those in a few weeks myself.

Congratulations! ;D I think you chose the right size for your needs, and the best brand. Now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive! Try not to wet yourself when that thing of beauty arrives at your door like I did! What do you plan to smoke first? I did pork butt, since I figured a long smoke would get some good seasoning started for it's inaugural smoke. Also, butt is very forgiving as you get to know your new smoker.

Back