Hello from NOVA

• Thread starter Thread starter capsfan
  • Start date Start date
C

capsfan

Hello from Northern Virginia,
I just bought a #2 for the start of NCAA football and Hockey.  My masterbuilt died after five years and not enough smoke production.  I expect delivery tomorrow and I am anxiously waiting.  I plan on making smoked eggs Benedict for brunch then beer can chicken Saturday.  My only concern is what I read about opening the door.  I don't like to play with my food ;) but I do like to add corn, baked beans at the last two hours. I hope this will still be an option. I hope everyone has a safe Labor Day weekend and I look forward to participating in the forum.
John aka capsfan

Welcome to the club.

If you can try to wait an hour at least to add food, better even at 2 hours.  Between those two times is when most of the billowing of smoke is over and the wood is just simmering. 

Hope that made sense.

Hey John, Welcome from Kansas City, should not be a problem in opening the door to add food. What they are talking about is opening the door every half hour or hour as that lets too much heat out. I have done beans in mine and just add them when I put in the meat. As I did those smokes at 225 and after a couple of hours took them out and they were fine covered with foil and left on the counter. Good luck with the chicken, we like pictures so we can drool.

Welcome from Texas John! enjoy your new smoker and come here often to share details of your smokes. Enjoy!

Welcome from Delaware, John!  You will love the #2...I know I do!  And no problem on opening the door, but as was already mentioned, I would not recommend opening the door in the first hour or so when the smoker is heating up and the wood is really smoking away.  Lots of good advice on this forum, but don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome.  This forum really seems like a great group of people and I look forward to particpating.  Good to hear I won't have problems with the door.  I cant imagine having to open it within the first hour. 

Just unpacked my Model #3. 3 day weekend coming plenty of time to season my new cooker and cook some baby back ribs and chicken.

Check-My-Que said:
Just unpacked my Model #3. 3 day weekend coming plenty of time to season my new cooker and cook some baby back ribs and chicken.

Hey There, would be nice if I knew your name. If you would head on over to introductions and add your name and city on you signature line on your profile. We are a friendly group here and like to use peoples first names on replies.

But, do the season smoke,
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1929.0
This will explain what to do. Once this is complete then you are ready to smoke some meat. I too have a #1 & #3, so I am hooked on these smokers.

Back