Hello From NE Oklahoma

Jax

Hi,

New to the forum so this is my first post.  I have been grilling and smoking for years.  But seem to prefer smoking for my family more these days.  I use a cast iron smoker with a firebox for smoking and a separate cast iron grill to do direct grilling.  Being so close I have always been influenced by Kansas City style barbecuing so even when I grill, I use soaked wood chips to produce more smoke and slow cook.

I never considered owning an electric grill, even after getting one for my son in-law for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I have always considered the joy of barbecuing is the process.  So unlike some I have no problem with maintaining the fire while watching college football on Saturdays.  I am not really sure why I would want to give up using wood burning grills for smoking with electric except when I do cook turkey legs during the weekend of the fair, and smoke turkeys, hams, briskets, etc for the holidays it would free up some time.  I am just not convinced I am going to get the smoked taste I am accustom to using my current smoker.   

Anyone else here that has gone from smoking with wood to electric?  If so, was there a compromise on smoked taste?  I have decided that should I give up my smoker to make room on my back porch for an electric grill, I would start with the Model 3D, although from reading some comments here the Model 3 is no different if you do not fret over small temperature fluctuations.  Clearly that would not be a problem after cooking with charcoal and wood for the past 30 + years.

Welcome.  Good to see another Oklahoma guy on here.

I have the Model 3 and love it.  I previously smoked on a pellet grill.  I don't buy many bags of pellets anymore.  The SI takes so much work out of the process.  It truly is a "set it and forget it" solution.  I like lots of smoke flavor and I feel like I get that from the #3.  Best part is, you get that smoke flavor with ounces of wood instead logs. 

The nice thing about electric over wood or charcoal is you typically get a more pure smoke flavor as compared to using wood and charcoal for your fuel. Wood is part of many recipes and is almost an ingredient because you can really taste the sometimes subtle nuances of the different woods.

I have a smoker with a side box out at the lake that I occasionally use for smoking ribs/poultry. But, I would not dream of smoking a long smoke like a butt or a brisket in my stick burner. I put my butts in at midnight, set the temp to 225 knowing that it will maintain all night long and be ready for double-wrapping in foil and a 2-4 hour rest in my cooler prior to eating.

There are several current/former charcoal/wood smokers here that will have more stick burning experience than me that I am sure will chime in I am sure.

You have definitely come to the right place if you are looking for a family friendly helpful smoking community. We are proud of our SI smokers, but do realize that there are a lot of other great smokers out there as well. So, we'll try to give you fairly unbiased opinions/answers to your questions.

BTW, #3 vs #3D is a pretty subjective choice. I have a #3 because that is all that was available outside of adding an external Auber when I bought my smoker. I have gone round and round with whether I would want a #3D or not and I am still not sure whether I which one I would get if I got a new one. As you well know from your stick burning experience, temp fluctuations do not change the outcome for most smokes other than maybe fish or jerky where tight temp control is important. I am very happy with my #3 and would put my food up against anyone's #3D.

Let us know if you have any other questions and good luck with your decision whatever it may be.

Thanks so much for your warm welcomes.  It seems that other than the cover and reinforced smoke box, there is very little difference between the Model 3 and 3D.  Based on my review of some posts, the PID may be more of a hassle. Besides I may at least want to keep some challenge of checking to assure the meats have been cooked.  As for a probe, well....

This may be miniscule, but as far as the specs the Model 3 temperature can be controlled between 100 and 250 degrees whereas the 3D has a wider range of temp control from 0-300 degrees.  Since I generally slow cook my meats at 250 (roasted in the oven), I would expect the maximum range would not be of a particular concern. 

Welcome Jax from SE Arizona. I have an offset stick burner that gave me great chow for years. But beyond the need to add fuel I was also rotating meat so that I would get even results. Otherwise what was closest to the fire would get done far too fast. As for taste differences I would say it is more mental than physical. If there was a difference I have long since forgotten about it. So I will say no difference. The food I get from the electric is very smokey and moist. And not having to babysit through a smoke is pure relaxation. Enjoy whichever model 3 you get.

Hi Jax!  You've definitely come to the right place, if you are considering moving to Lazy Q, USA! 8)

We have an awful lot of folks that have had to make the same decision you are, and I don't remember one that regretted their decision to go SI.  As Gregg mentioned, being able to taste the true smoke flavor (instead of the heat source flavor, which is different - even if it's the same wood) is incredible!  I can now tell the subtle differences in smoke flavor, and treat wood smoke flavor just like any other prep spice, when planning my smoke!  It's truly amazing.

So which model?  3 or 3D?  I've smoked on the analog standard models, standards with a standalone Auber PID controller, and the 2D & 3D, so let me give you my nickle's-worth of 2¢...

First of all, YES, you can make some mighty fine Q with the dial controller!  Secondly, the D models do NOT make better Q!

Now, with that said, let me give you my take on it.  Having used both, I highly recommend the D model.  Why, you ask?  Three words:  Flexibility, Consistency and Control.  The D model capabilities will expand your horizon!  While most stick & charcoal burners are fine with "close enough," you can't imagine what it's like to accurately set and predict exactly what your smoker will do - even if you are not watching it!

The D model allows temps up to 375, actually (not 300), so you have that option.  More importantly, you have the ability to set 6 different "steps" to a smoke!  Here's an example:  I smoke Canadian bacon at 140 for 4 hours, then bump up to 175 for an hour, then finish at 200 until it reaches 155 internal temp.  With the D model, I program those 3 steps, and never have to open the door, or even check on it!  Boom!  6 hours later, I have perfect Canadian bacon!  I also like to smoke jerky at 140 (so it dries, and doesn't "cook").  When I set the controller to 140, it stays at 140!  The analog controller will swing 15-20°, and I don't want spikes for temperature-sensitive smokes.  Lots of folks who do fish also want consistent temps.  The ability to accurately control the temp, and program what I want it to do, has really expanded my smoking portfolio, so to speak!  It's never "close enough," but instead it's "dead on!"

The last thing I'll say about the SI, is that you'll have to somewhat modify your techniques, should you choose to go SI.  What that means is you'll have to give up foiling/unfoiling, mopping, spritzing, etc...!  These smokers are very tight, and retain moisture very well, so all the techniques folks use, to counter the drying-effect of the heat source, are no longer necessary!  It means you'll have to find better things to do, with your time, while your meal is smoking! 

Whichever way you go, you'll be happy, but I recommend going with the D model highly!  (And no, I am not on the SI payroll, or commission!  Just a happy owner who has experience with both styles!)

Jax said:
I am not really sure why I would want to give up using wood burning grills for smoking with electric except when I do cook turkey legs during the weekend of the fair, and smoke turkeys, hams, briskets, etc for the holidays it would free up some time.

Sounds like you've already got quite a few smokes where you'd like more free time. Once you use an SI, you will find more reasons not to monitor. You also mentioned getting the 3 instead of the 3D, because you would still want the "challenge of checking" the doneness. There won't be any challenge with either one. You put the temperature probe in the meat, and keep the door closed until done. (Except for ribs, which you don't probe and cook by time.) Opening the door and looking at your food is not only not required, it is discouraged, in order to maintain temperature and moisture. If you want a challenge, pull out your old smoker. I came from a background of using a Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal water smoker) for about 15 years. Made great Q. Like you, I thought I liked spending the whole day monitoring the smoker, having a beer, checking on the temperature, adjusting the vents, adding water, adding wood, spritzing, mopping, etc. I thought I would miss all of that. I figured I could always pull out the Weber Smokey Mountain whenever I felt the need for the all day experience. I bought my SI in January of 2015. I haven't used the WSM since (poor fella). The SI makes better Q, and I've found other fun things to do while the SI is smoking (like a good night's sleep for one!). for the first time I tasted the "flavor" of the wood type I was using, where the charcoal was muddled with the wood flavor on the WSM. Plus, now I smoke all winter long here in Wisconsin... in any weather! I never did that with the WSM.

Welcome from Texas! When I took delivery of my #3 I realized that I had made the right choice. Read the reviews from people who actually own and use this product and you can't help but be impressed with the words used to describe the experiences they have had and impressions of the SI units when they receive them and are unboxed. I personally haven't used my offset smoker since I received my #3 except to charcoal some burgers now and then as I have it set up for that purpose now. The D models weren't available when I bought mine but I'm not sure I would have done anything different as I'm not particularly overly concerned with temp swings because it all averages out over the length of time of the smoke. If you plan to make sausage or jerky you may benefit from the pid controller. Also there is this great forum with people who use this smoker and are standing by to offer help and encouragement whenever needed and that is a major benefit. Have a great weekend!

SconnieQ said:
Jax said:
I am not really sure why I would want to give up using wood burning grills for smoking with electric except when I do cook turkey legs during the weekend of the fair, and smoke turkeys, hams, briskets, etc for the holidays it would free up some time.

Sounds like you've already got quite a few smokes where you'd like more free time. Once you use an SI, you will find more reasons not to monitor. You also mentioned getting the 3 instead of the 3D, because you would still want the "challenge of checking" the doneness. There won't be any challenge with either one. You put the temperature probe in the meat, and keep the door closed until done. (Except for ribs, which you don't probe and cook by time.) Opening the door and looking at your food is not only not required, it is discouraged, in order to maintain temperature and moisture. If you want a challenge, pull out your old smoker. I came from a background of using a Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal water smoker) for about 15 years. Made great Q. Like you, I thought I liked spending the whole day monitoring the smoker, having a beer, checking on the temperature, adjusting the vents, adding water, adding wood, spritzing, mopping, etc. I thought I would miss all of that. I figured I could always pull out the Weber Smokey Mountain whenever I felt the need for the all day experience. I bought my SI in January of 2015. I haven't used the WSM since (poor fella). The SI makes better Q, and I've found other fun things to do while the SI is smoking (like a good night's sleep for one!). for the first time I tasted the "flavor" of the wood type I was using, where the charcoal was muddled with the wood flavor on the WSM. Plus, now I smoke all winter long here in Wisconsin... in any weather! I never did that with the WSM.

There it is, from a "traditional" smoker, and great contributor, Jax!  Kari NAILED it ( as usual)!

Back