Hello from Houston

grogorat

Hello all,
Ordered the #2 yesterday, should be here by Saturday.
Long time listener, first time smoker (sorry, bad joke)
What prompted me to take the plunge, you ask?  Well, the wife and I attended a surprise birthday party 3 weeks ago for a colleague of hers and one of her daughters brought down an electric smoker to make pork butts and chicken.  Needless to say, she was impressed and suggested that we get one, so I started researching them.
Initially, I was going to settle for a big box store version until I started reading "expert" reviews and stumbled onto one of them recommending Smokin-It, so after much reading I decided to go with this brand, for the build quality and customer service.

You won't be disappointed. I too have the #2 and it's fantastic! I'm almost approaching the one year ownership mark and have nothing bad to say. Great food each time!

Welcome from Delaware, Gary!  You have found the right place...I have been smoking with a #2 for about two years now, pretty much every weekend.  You will love the #2 ... I know I do!  Cheers

Gary, Welcome from Eastern MA! You have made a great choice. Not only did you decide on a great smoker you now have a great forum to help you get started. Hope you will share your experiences with us.

Welcome from East Texas! You made the right choice. These smokers are head and shoulders above the rest. There really is no competition at this price point. Plus its easy to make some great Q! Enjoy!

Welcome Gary form Kansas City, I foresee a lot of great BBQ coming your way. Don't skip the seasoning step and enjoy some tasty ribs after the seasoning step.

Welcome Gary from Saint Augustine Florida and also a proud #2 smoker!

I hope you enjoy your #2 as much as I do!

Greg

Welcome to Club Lazy Q, Gary!  Your research as served you well, and you made a great decision!  Hang with us, we'll take you from newbie to Pit Master in no time!! ;D

Thanks for all the well wishes and I look forward to trying as many of your recipes, suggestions, and tips as I can.
This has got to be the friendliest and most supportive forum I've ever joined, lol.
I'm thinking that I'll start simple with ribs, and then try the boston butt (bone-in); this will be my training period because I'd like to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.

grogorat said:
Thanks for all the well wishes and I look forward to trying as many of your recipes, suggestions, and tips as I can.
This has got to be the friendliest and most supportive forum I've ever joined, lol.
I'm thinking that I'll start simple with ribs, and then try the boston butt (bone-in); this will be my training period because I'd like to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.

You may want to try the Boston butt for the first smoke as it will be the most forgiving and it will also be a longer smoke which will aid in the seasoning of the smoker.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!  :)

Either would be a good choice.  I did ribs for the first smoke on my #2 and let them go 4.5 hours at 235F with 4-5oz of hickory and a water pan next to the wood box (I use apple juice in the pan).  After 4.5 hours, I remove and sauce, then back in for another hour.  Always a god meal!  I also like to throw a couple of potatoes up top and get smoky baked potatoes...they take about 5-6 hours as well and pair nicely with ribs.

Donmac said:
grogorat said:

You may want to try the Boston butt for the first smoke as it will be the most forgiving and it will also be a longer smoke which will aid in the seasoning of the smoker.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!  :)

+1!  I love the bone-in Boston for the first smoke!!  Let's her stretch her legs on a long smoke, right out of the gate!

Back