Hello from Elgin, IL

ChicagoRex

Hello everyone.  This is Dirk from Elgin, IL.  I finally got the green light and purchased the 2.  I did the season smoke and then I did baby backs.  They turned out great.  I'm still making tweaks to the recipe and getting a lot of advice from my brother in Texas.  He has the 2 with the cart (He hates bending over).  I finally signed up on the forum and just discovered the PDF book - very nice.  I have been reading the forum.  I am running out now to get the remote temp probe recommended.  My adult kids are very happy to be the recipients of my test runs.  We are empty nesters now, so no one seems to mind when I drop off some smoked meat to sample.  I am smoking two whole chickens now.  I am using Weber Kickin Chicken as the rub and a mirepoix stuffing with a couple of lemons.  I did not brine these, but will do that the next time.  My one comment is on the use of water or liquid during the smoke.  I use a small can.  I did beer on the rib smoke, but after talking with my brother, he thinks some climates don't need the additional moisture.  My next smoke of baby backs will go without liquid and I will be using a temp probe.  I am super happy with this thing and it is a perfect way for a foodie like me to spend a weekend!  By way of background, I'm a huge foodie and wine guy.  We entertain a lot and like to pair food with wine.  I was a butcher when I was 16 so I'm pretty good with a knife.  I actually planned my back yard with this smoker in mind.  The picture shows my "smoker patio" in the rear corner of my yard.  It has an outdoor outlet on either side of the patio.  During my first smoke, I sat in the chair drinking a beer looking at my smoker with ribs inside.  Just then, a hummingbird took a sip from my flowers.  I thought how can life get better than this?  haha....  Great to meet ya'all and look forward to sharing and learning from this group.  Also, the new handles on the 2 are excellent.
Dirk 

Attachments

• IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 261
Welcome from Texas Dirk. It's good to have you with us. As far as the chicken goes there is no need for extra moisture because the smoker is so airtight that very little escapes during the smoking process, this is really true when you brine. The skin on the chicken is going to be rubbery anyway so no need to add moisture and make a bad situation worse. Lots of folks add a pan,of liquid next to the firebox when smoking briskets and such but chicken is such a short smoke and really no need in it. The really isn't enough meat on ribs to get a probe firmly into. Just use the no peek method which is prep the rubs however you like the put them in the smoker close the door then set the temp for 235, or whatever temp you smoke at, then don't open the door for 4 and a half hours. Then open the door and check for doneness. Look for "pullback"'of the bones, also insert a toothpick between the bones and if it goes in and out like it was butter then they are done. If not close the door and let them go another 30 minutes and repeat the process until done. Some folks sauce thier ribs between the 4 and 4 1/2 hour mark. By the way nice patio, I hope to have one somewhat like yours one day. Once again, welcome!

Thanks Dale.  Yes, I checked the ribs after 4.5 hours without opening the door.  I think I pulled them early, but then I simply finished them in the oven in foil.  They were great.  Question for you.  I don't have the remote temp probe yet, but have an instant read taylor digital.  I have the two chickens at 250.  The chickens are big roasters, like 4 to 5 pounds each.  They are stuffed with the mirepoix.  Would you say check the temp for 165 at about 3 hours?  I don't want to open the door until I need to, but then I'll check internal temp on the chickens.  Thanks again.
Dirk

Dirk, welcome from Southwest Arkansas and congratulations on your #2 purchase! You will be fine to open the door and check those chickens around the 3 hour mark with your instant read thermometer. It usually takes around 3 1/2 hours or so when I smoke whole chickens like that but I would check them at 3 hours to judge where they are at.

Thanks Jimmy.  Do you typically brine your chickens?  That was a well timed response as I'm about to open the door in 35 minutes - LOL.

Welcome from ND Dirk!

The guys already handled most of your questions.

My only comment is regarding using a water pan. I use a water pan for pretty much everything except for Skin-on Poultry (skin-off still gets a water pan and sometimes wrapped in bacon), jerky, and sausage.

Thanks Gregg.  You had me at "wrapped in bacon"!  Just checked the chickens after 3 hours smoke and they were at 154, so going another 30 minutes and will check them again.  I totally get that the skin is never going to turn out good inside the smoker, but I really don't care.  It's a whole different thing that you're going for.  I'm looking forward to trying these.  Every Thanksgiving, I do a Turkey in a Dutch Oven inside, then a small one on my Rotisserie on the grill.  That one always turns out perfect.  Of course, this year, I'll add a turkey in the smoker using this method, but maybe I'll wrap that sucker in bacon!  Thanks again,
Dirk

Welcome, and congrats, Dirk!  Great to have you with us!

Water pan?  Most definitely, where you're located, for everything but poultry.  Save the good beer for drinking, though, and just use water (no difference in the meat flavor).  The only time I put something different in the water pan is cheap apple juice for long pork butt smokes.  Not for flavor, but because it makes it smell SO good while it's cooking! ;)

Definitely try brining your poultry - and pork butts!  Actually, I brine all kinds of stuff, and it does make a huge difference.  Once you brine poultry, you'll never go back!  As for that whole turkey?  Do it the same way as your chickens (no bacon wrap necessary), and you'll be amazed!  Best turkey you'll ever have!

Here's to the wonderful world of experimentation in you future!!  Dig the smokin' patio, too, btw! 8)

ChicagoRex said:
Thanks Gregg.  You had me at "wrapped in bacon"!  Just checked the chickens after 3 hours smoke and they were at 154, so going another 30 minutes and will check them again.  I totally get that the skin is never going to turn out good inside the smoker, but I really don't care.  It's a whole different thing that you're going for.  I'm looking forward to trying these.  Every Thanksgiving, I do a Turkey in a Dutch Oven inside, then a small one on my Rotisserie on the grill.  That one always turns out perfect.  Of course, this year, I'll add a turkey in the smoker using this method, but maybe I'll wrap that sucker in bacon!  Thanks again,
Dirk

To be clear, I only bacon wrap skinless poultry (primarily if I do skinless breasts), but not always as it does take a little extra time to wrap the bacon. You can get really nice moist skinless chicken breasts without bacon. But, I do ALWAYS brine.

ChicagoRex said:
Thanks Jimmy.  Do you typically brine your chickens?  That was a well timed response as I'm about to open the door in 35 minutes - LOL.

Dirk, as Tony and Gregg already mentioned, I do brine chicken, pork butts, and pork loins every time I smoke them. 

Welcome from SW Tennessee.  I'm new to the family and also have a #2.  Had it less than a month and can't get enough (6 smokes so far)!  Since you're a foodie, I'd be interested in hearing what you pair with those chickens when you serve them.  I love hearing differing takes on the presentation and meal delivery.  Nice patio.  Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Thanks everyone.  Hi Deron.  I tasted a piece of the wing and breast on the chickens and it was really nice.  It has a lot of lemon coming through.  The skin was not bad at all.  I am bringing the chickens to my daughter tomorrow.  Since it is still Summer, I would probably pair the birds with a Cotes Du Rhone or dry red (if we are doing red).  For whites, I would pair it with anything like Chard, pinot gris, pinot grigio, or a Rose etc.  I used a spicier rub (Weber kickin Chicken), but next time, I'm going to use Salt, Pepper, and Herbs De Provence as the rub.  I will still stuff it with a mirepoix, but as the weather gets cooler here, I will do that with chickens and the Thanksgiving turkey.  When I go that route, I will go with a Pinot Noir (light red) or maybe even a Super Tuscan red wine.  Here's a picture of the 2 chickens.  I let them rest under foil and wrapped them in foil for tomorrow dinner with the kids.  I'm having a lot of fun here as you can tell.  BTW, Australian Shiraz will pair very well with all of the Q being talked about here.  There are no rules to pairing wine or beer for that matter.  Cheers.
Dirk

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 264
Dirk,

Those birds look fantastic!  I may have to try those soon.  Thank you for the pairing advice.  It's good that there's no rules for pairing b/c I just grab a drink I like and a food I like and shove them together  ;D.  Problem is, I've done the same with friends from different circles and almost lost both friends  :-\.

I appreciate your willingness to share ideas.  Best of luck with your lazy Q adventures.  Welcome to the family!

Dirk, thank you for bringing an aire of sophistication to BBQ!  Lots of us beer-guzzling, slap it together, bone-sucking BBQ aficionados,  around here, could probably use a little of your knowledge! :D  We've been thinking about starting a beer board; sounds like we need to start a wine board, too!

Howdy Dirk and welcome aboard from a fellow Illinoisan!!  Lots of good info on this board and I'm looking forward to more of your tips.  Those birds look great, makes me think about giving them a try soon. 
I always use a water pan.  One time I forgot and I thought the ribs I did were a little dry (less moist ?), but maybe it was just my imagination  ;D
And I agree with you on the handles.  Great feature.
Happy Smoking!

Thanks Tony.  I have read a lot of your posts and they are very helpful.  I'm doing some baby backs later today for my Dad.  I'm always up for Beer with BBQ, but happy to help out with any wine pairings.  If you start that thread, I would take pics of the wine and tell you how to get it.  Most of the wine I purchase is from a site called WTSO.com.  Thanks again for all your posts.
Dirk

Back