Hello from Alabama

• Thread starter Thread starter jpittssr
  • Start date Start date
J

jpittssr

I have been searching and re-searching the amazing plethora of available smokers.

I purchased my #3 about a month ago - after a referral from friend and fellow BBQ Caterer.  I too have a Lang - 48 with Chargrill.  Love my Lang for cooking on site at parties and events.  I am in the process of getting used to my #3 to help with ribs and pulled pork when I don;t have time to "man the fire box" on my Lang.  So far, I have been very impressed with the SI3.  I currently have two Boston Butts in - since 5 am and hope to take them off and pull in a couple of hours.  I would recommend the #3 - well worth the $ 8)

I can't tell you about the company. But Steve has responded to me very promptly when I had a question and I emailed him. Also I placed my order for my #2 early in the morning, and it shipped that day, on a Wed. I had it Friday afternoon, broke it in, and did my first meal in it Saturday...

You'll love it, as is said, Lazy-Q

Just e-mail Steve and he should get right back to you...I've had my #3 for about 3 weeks and absolutely it. Here is a little food for thought on the #2 and the #3.
The #2 inside dimensions are 15" wide x 15" deep x 20" tall....with a 700 watt heating element
The #3 inside dimensions are 15" wide x 20" deep x 22" tall.....with a 1200 watt heating element
The main difference is in the #2 it will not hold a full rack of ribs....you will have to cut in half
but the #3 will hold a full rack.
Also, if you get the rib rack for the #3 it will hold 11 racks of ribs on one shelf (for company, family or large crowd)
I was torn also between the #2 and the #3 but decide to pay a little extra and get the #3 and very happy I did.
I order my #3 on Wed morning and got it on Friday and I live in Virginia.
I can assure you these smokers are some of the best on the market...
Good luck on you decision.
Hope I've helped
Tony

Hey JP - text Steve @ 260-417-9951 - he'll get back to you.  Yes, it is a small family business, but growing faster than I think anyone ever expected! 

Depending on how many you smoke for, on a regular basis, should determine the size.  The #2 is great, and suits my needs very well.  But, the depth of the #3 is very alluring, especially for full-size packer briskies and full racks of ribs!

You'll produce some of the best Q you've ever had with an SI, and your past experience will help with that!  The difference is, you'll do it from the land of Lazy Q! 8)

I have a family of 4 and the #2 easily accommodates my smoking needs, including even when friends are over for dinner.  The #2 can handle 3 or 4 racks of BB ribs on the four shelves that come with the unit.  Last weekend I did 2 1/2 racks, baked potatoes and a 2qt pan of baked beans at the same time.    I often do 2 or 3 chicken halves with no problem, and have done 2 5# whole chickens side by side in the #2.   

I have done 9 racks in the #2 @ once & could theoretically put an additional 2 racks in. The #2 can hold alot of meat. 

In my opinion, for $100 more, you get a lot of BANG for your buck.  When I look at the competitor brand, when upsizing with their units, it often doubles the price of their smoker.  The #3 is a (stainless) steal of a deal.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
I bought the #2 not so much because of cost, although that was a consideration.
I think it will be large enough for me even with visitors.

One thing we did not talk about and I'm not sure it matters is cost of operation.
Electricity is really a bargain in the states compared to some other places.

jpittssr said:
Thanks to everyone for your input.
I bought the #2 not so much because of cost, although that was a consideration.
I think it will be large enough for me even with visitors.

One thing we did not talk about and I'm not sure it matters is cost of operation.
Electricity is really a bargain in the states compared to some other places.

I don't give a flip about cost of operation. Suppose I might, if I was a commercial user, and had it running all day, every day.  I would suspect my electric stove uses far more energy than my smoker.  Plus, it's not like I use it everyday.  And, to produce the best Q in the county, I wouldn't care if it caused a brown-out for everyone else (for a few hours, at least).  lol! 8)  If they tasted it, they wouldn't mind the sacrifice! ;D

Back