Heatermeter Boston Butt

Trip

http://si3.twowheelvinyl.com

website should be up and running

Just came out of the brine, rubbed er down and wished her a good night in the smoker.

Using a brine Divot posted, Memphis BBQ company rub posted by Pork Belly (not the full competition, just the first part,) and  3.7 oz of Apple, 2 oz of hickory.

am2u8n.jpg

mcap76.jpg

1rue8h.jpg

Dinner bell, best smoke I have done so far by a lot and I don't even like pork BBQ all that much.

al0jll.jpg

It's ok, it's my wife's favorite.  I have always been more of a chicken and beef person.  I grew up getting more brisket than pork and now I live in pork central and have a hard time getting good brisket.  Which is why I got the SI3.

Trip, looks good. I also see you have noise on your probes. You get the new firmware I just got from Bryan last week to fix ac line noise?

Looking very nice, Trip!  What'd you think of the rub?  I used it a couple of weeks ago on some ribs, and even after adding my own "twist" of ingredients, I found it a bit blah.  Not a lot of flavor, just kind of "middle of the road."

I liked the rub pretty good, I made some changes to it based on ingredients I didn't have and didn't feel like going to the store this weekend.

I used light brown sugar instead of turbinado.  I used a friend's homemade cajun seasoning instead of cayenne and removed a little salt from the recipe to account for the extra in the seasoning.  No one had any complaints and it was gone very quickly.  My wife is already begging me to make it again, so I think it did well.  I need to get over to Famous Dave's and get some of their rub and try it though.

Another thing I did the same thing for cayenne/salt in your brine.  I also took out 1/4 of gallon of water and used apple juice to make up that 1/4 gallon.  I did that in the cooling phase.  Didn't do it in the heating portion.

Thanks for the info, Trip!  If you like FD Rib Rub, order it from Amazon.  6 bottle deal is lots cheaper than the restaurant, or in stores.

I ended up going to Famous Dave's last week and they were out of the rib rub, so they just gave me a big plastic to-go soup bowl full of the stuff they use in restaurant.  Tried it on the last butt I did this past weekend, it didn't go over as well as this rub recipe I got from here.  Going to start tweaking this one some and see what happens, my wife and her family enjoyed it a lot more.

I wonder if the restaurant makes exactly like the bottled rubs. May be worth trying to order a bottle before completely ruling out the preference. Quality controls could be much different if they don't get sourced from a common packer (i.e. what goes in the bottles is also what goes to stores in bulk).

Trip said:
I ended up going to Famous Dave's last week and they were out of the rib rub, so they just gave me a big plastic to-go soup bowl full of the stuff they use in restaurant.  Tried it on the last butt I did this past weekend, it didn't go over as well as this rub recipe I got from here.  Going to start tweaking this one some and see what happens, my wife and her family enjoyed it a lot more.

You should try the version you get in the bottle, from the store.  I've eaten at FD's many times, and believe the rub used in the restaurant is not the same.  Buy a bottle and try it, before making up your mind about it. 

Back