Happy New Owner

chickenfeets

Hi all! DivotMaker (aka Tony) asked me to start a new thread here to introduce myself. I have never had a smoker before and aside from a small table top grill, have no experience whatsoever with this sort of stuff. I've watched the videos and things went well the three times that I've used it. Thanks for these forums. They're a great read!

The first and second time I did a rack of St. Louis ribs. Third time I did burgers and a steak, then later that day some turkey legs. The turkey legs were awesome. Everything else needs to be tweaked, mainly for cook time.

This weekend I'm trying a rack of ribs again with a couple of sweet potatoes on the bottom.

Thanks folks! I'm sure I'll have some great fun with this smoker.

I need to ask something, though. The Maverick dual probe thermometers...does one go in the meat and the other hangs loose in the smoker? I was never clear on this.

Yes, the meat probe is a long probe that you insert into the meat.  The shorter probe is for the temperature in the smoker...mine has a clip that the probe goes through and the clip mounts on one of the racks in the smoker... I put it on the top rack.    The two probes plug into the sides of the Maverick ... the sides are labeled for which probe goes in which side.

Welcome from ND Wilma! you have made a wise choice in buying a Smokin-It smoker.

If you get a Maverick ET-733 vs. the ET-732 it comes with two dual purpose probes that can be used both for meat or one for meat and one for the smoker. Both probes come with clips to clip on the shelves.

Thank you all for helping me understand this. I haven't purchased any thermometers yet, but I am researching what they are and how to use them.

Ribs don't need a probe and I managed to overcook my burgers and steak. I left them in too long. The turkey legs were perfect.

Also I don't sauce the ribs in the smoker... too messy. I do it in a hot pan after they've cooled and before I want to serve them. Saute in a hot pan with your favorite sauce and let it caramelize.

Wilma, it's critical you get a remote thermometer.  We go by internal temp on just about everything larger than ribs, and it'll make your life much easier!  I recommend the Maverick ET-732 or 733 - solid performers, and affordable.

That's why I've been researching. So far, the only thing bigger than ribs were the turkey legs. I did use a regular meat thermometer when I took them out.

My ribs were fairly decent after 5 hrs. at 225. I sliced them and sauced them in a pan on the stove. Tender and tasty. The sweet potatoes were soft and smoky... all you need is a little buttah. I'm thinking of brining then doing some regular center cut pork chops. Not for too long, maybe an hour before checking. I used apple wood chips this time vs. the hickory that came with the smoker. I also bought a bag of mesquite. Chips are soaked for 30+ mins. per instructions.

Back