Ham anyone?

Danbow

Bought a ham at Sams some time back and were expecting an ice storm this weekend, thought I might try it in the 3D on saturday. I realize that its already cooked and all I am doing is warming it up but I thought what the heck why not do it in the smoker. I know I can treat the 3D like an oven but with a built in smokabilty.  Any suggestions?

Twice smoked ham is the best imo. I did a 17 pounder Frich's this past xmas.

The key is to use a quality ham to start with. You are going to enjoy it!

Danny, this is the way I do ham:

1. Coat the outside of your ham with Honey Dijon mustard and then lightly dust your ham with brown sugar. (Don’t go
    too heavy here, you will come back and add another, heavier coating of brown sugar later.) This will create a “paste”
    on your ham.

2. Add about 2.5-3 ounces of wood to your smoker and smoke the ham for two (2) hours at 225 degrees. After 2
    hours take it off the smoker and wrap in aluminum foil. Before you close the aluminum foil completely, you want to
    baste the ham with pineapple juice. (I use a small spray bottle to spray it on)

3. Once I have basted the ham with pineapple juice and wrapped it in aluminum foil, I place it back on the smoker and
    allow it to cook for another hour at 225 degrees.

4. Unwrap the top of the ham, but keep it sitting in the foil to keep the juices from spilling. Now that the ham is
    exposed, sprinkle more brown sugar over the entire outside again. Once your ham is covered in brown sugar, spray it
    really well with the pineapple juice. This will cause the brown sugar to dissolve and the heat from the smoker will
    create a delicious glaze. Place back on the smoker for another hour while you allow the sugar and the juice to create
    your glaze.

5. At the four hour mark your ham is ready to come off of the smoker and loosely tent with foil while you allow it to rest
    for 20-30 minutes before carving. 

I would be careful about going by time alone. Different size hams will vary, and it could get dry. You should definitely use a temperature probe.

If your ham is raw or "partially cooked" (it will say on the label), you should smoke at 225 to an internal temperature of 145.

If your ham is "fully cooked" (it will say on the label) then you are really only wanting to heat it up and get some smoke on there. Fully-cooked hams only need to get to an internal temperature of 140.

Going over 140 or 145 will only start to dry out the meat, and we've all had that dried out ham. I know that's what I grew up with anyway! ;D I suppose the government was partially responsible for that, back when we used to have to cook pork to 160. But my mother did cook the life out of everything though. People still overcook that stuff. My neighbor proudly told me he cooked his New Year's ham to 180. "Just to be safe!" Ugh :o

Kari, that is a good point however, I have never put a temp probe in the hams that I have cooked this way and I have never had a ham dry out.  They are always moist and juicy.The glaze and the wrapping in foil prevents the ham from drying out and holds the juices in.  I generally cook hams in the 8-16 lb range. The total time unwrapped is only 3 hours. I would guess that if you were just smoking it to a IT of 140-145 it would be pretty darn close to that time anyway. I guess the next time I cook a ham I will probe at the end to find out exactly what the IT is but it has never been an issue.

Double smoked hams are great and you will notice a difference.  Esp with some extra outside rub.  I'll 2nd the suggestion to probe and temp the internal of the ham.  Saves on time maybe and guessing.

Since I have the 3D with the probe I will be using it. I don't really want to wrap it if I don't have to, although Grampys recipe sound delish. I was thinking some kind of rub or something might be good though. This is a spiral cut ham so I wonder if thats going to make a difference?

Danbow said:
This is a spiral cut ham so I wonder if thats going to make a difference?
Nope, that's all I use, Costco Kirkland spiral cut hams.  My finishing glaze is a paste made with brown sugar and maple syrup. I putty knife that on about 15 minutes before it is done. 

Super wowow. Grampys recipe with the honey dejon and brown suger pineapple glaze was wonderful. My fingers still smell incredible even after washing them. Its a hit. Did some hash brown cheesy casserole  with it and it was great. Left overs anyone?

Danbow said:
Super wowow. Grampys recipe with the honey dejon and brown suger pineapple glaze was wonderful. My fingers still smell incredible even after washing them. Its a hit. Did some hash brown cheesy casserole  with it and it was great. Left overs anyone?

Danny, I am glad you liked it.  ;D

Back