Guess I need to buy a thermometer

TJ

Guess it is time to buy a good thermometer and seems most people like the Maverick ET-733 and have some basic questions.
My smoker is a #3. If using a unit like the ET-733 do you run the probe down the hole where the smoke exits then insert it into the center of the meat? Then the control unit sits on the outside of the smoker?

Not really sure I need a wireless unit but the cost isn't that bad. Should I go with the Maverick or pick a non wireless unit and just make my lazy butt get up more often? If you recommend non wireless what is a good brand?

Thanks in advance.

Hi TJ,

I have both a #3 and a Maverick ET-733 and I love both of them.

I would strongly recommend the wireless and I love my ET-733. It is great for overnight smokes. I quite often put my pork butts in around 10:00PM-12:00AM and then go to bed. I have my Maverick with the alarms set up on my nightstand that lets me know if the temps get to high/low.

TJ
If you are not going to get a pid in the future i recommend the maverick. If not, thermoworks has some awesome equipment as well. I might suggest a thermopen, it cost about $100 but its an instant read thermometer that works on any meat.

Brian, had a typo. I meant to say not going. I edited my responses.

the pid had both a smoker and food probe.

Back