Greetings

coyotedude

Received Model 1 as a xmas gift.  Used twice so far, chicken wings (w/leathery skin) and thin pork chops (delicious).  Minor mistakes both times but definitely learning as I go.  Hardest thing right now is trying to decide on best thermometer.  Trying to stick to a budget and have narrowed to Thermoworks SMOKE or ThermoPro TP20.  Any thoughts?

I have the Smoke and like it a lot. 
Pros: Has good range, is accurate, reconnects automatically, alarm is very easy to reset, easy to read LCD, probes very durable and go on sale 2-3 times a year ( I bought some as reserves).
Cons: Expensive to get the network add on transmitter, limited to 2 probes, must silence alarm on receiver then go outside and silence the base.

Welcome! Great gift you received!

As for skin, happens with chicken. You could flash them on the gas grill, really hot, really quick. One thing I want to try soon is adding some baking powder prior to cooking and see if that helps.

For thermometer, I have a chef alarm from Thermo.  It works well, as I run multiple probes and just plug in as I go to check temps. Doesn’t offer WiFi or that stuff, but works nice and isn’t too expensive.

If you feel at some point you will upgrade, take a peak at the FireBoard. Someday I may end up with this, as I do some other smoking on my kettle that needs more babysitting.

Have fun on your journey!

Thanks for the welcomes, knew I was joining a "Family" atmosphere when I purchase the Smokein-it smoker.
Going to order Thermoworks Smoke unit today and might blow the budget on a Themapen MK4 also.   

Welcome to the family, Jim!  Chicken/Turkey skin is going to be difficult.  After smoking bring it in and throw it in a hot (400+ deg) oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp it up.  With Turkey I just throw the skin away.

Back