Greetings from Wisconsin brrrr!

SconnieQ

I purchased a SI Model #1 as a Christmas gift to myself. I've been obsessed with reading every detail on their website, and on the forums for a couple months. SI had a great deal on free accessories around the holidays (free cover, rib hooks and chip insert). So I couldn't resist. Was thinking about waiting until Spring, but nothing reminds you of summer more than some smoked food in January! I also purchased the cold smoke plate, power cord hooks, and an extra rack.

I have been using a WSM for about 10 years, so I have some smoking experience. Ribs, butts, brisket, turkey, chicken, hot-smoked salmon. Although I have received good results from the WSM, and sometimes enjoy the fuss, I really don't use it as often as I would have liked. I generally only need to smoke for 1-3 people, so many times I was just not up for a full day of monitoring the WSM for a small amount of food for 1 or 2 people. It was not worth the effort and fuel. The #1 should be perfect for 95% of my smokes. (Can always use the WSM when I need larger quantity.)

With what seems to be an increasing popularity in electric smokers, I decided to research it and found this wonderful product! So superior to the other brands and at a great price.

We've had HIGHS below zero for the last couple weeks, so I've been admiring the beautiful smoker in the comfort of my home. Temps in the 20s now, so I plan to season it on Friday, pork butt Saturday. I plan on using it in the coldest (sub-zero) Wisconsin winter temps once I get er seasoned-up. (Never used the WSM in the winter.)

Look forward to some LazyQ and using it often, and year-round! And trying some cold-smoked salmon! (Hope the WSM forgives me...)

Welcome from ND Kari! You have made a great decision with the Smokin-It.

You won't have any problems with the cold. I have smoked in -20F without any problems.

Welcome, Kari!! ;D  Great state, you're from - spent a lot of time there, between the Marshfield and Green Bay area, when I worked for Roehl Transportation.  Sure is cold, though!! :o

You've made a great decision to join the coolest BBQ club on the planet - "Club Lazy Q!"  The WSM is a great smoker, but you will absolutely love the convenience - and results - of your new #1!  Your hardest part will be breaking some of your old techniques, like foiling, spritzing, mopping, etc.....  You can now focus on the meat prep and smoke profile you want, rather than the process!

Go Pack! ;D

I'm looking forward to not doing any of that! The last couple years, I pretty much quit spritzing and mopping with my WSM anyway. There is some debate as to whether it really makes a difference on the WSM, because of the trade-off in heat/moisture loss by opening that particular style of cooker. I did sometimes foil my briskets though once they reached the stall. Not any more though! Just a foil wrap for resting.

Go Pack!

Welcome aboard, Kari. These are great units. Do most Qers live in cold places? Down here most people(me included) tend to roast whole pigs in so-called Cuban boxes where they roast, never see a hint of smoke but still get called BBQ. I need to lead a revolution!

Roasting a whole pig is popular up here for large celebrations. Usually it is done on a large gas rotisserie type of thing that people rent. I don't know anyone who calls it BBQ though. Usually we just call it "a pig roast". I don't know many people in Madison that try to do real Q, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I'd love to hear from them! Real BBQ is becoming more popular in the restaurant scene. One Madison institution for almost four decades, Smoky Jon's #1 BBQ, has won numerous national championships for ribs. More BBQ joints have been popping up in recent years. I have a feeling home Q is much more popular in rural areas of WI. In Madison, people seem to do a lot of grilling.

Madison's Motto: "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

Seasoned the #1 Friday. Used the hickory dowels that came with it. 250 for four hours. About 40 minutes in, got a really dramatic belch. Wasn't sure I would get one with the #1. Maybe the 400 watt heating element in the current model is just enough to create it. It did create a little "spray" out of the top hole. If there was something on the racks during a normal smoke, spray probably wouldn't have come out. I think I'll foil boat the wood for the butt on Saturday.

Other than maybe frightening the neighbor kids, is there any reason to not just let the belch happen? Or should steps be taken to avoid it?

The belch is as bad as some people think. I have had smokes with belches and my food has still tasted great.

Definitely don't open up the door though.

I would either implement the ramp-up method (my preferred) or the foil boat method. Neither option will totally avoid the problem, but should definitely reduce the issues.

I foil my wood to try to minimize the belch but dry wood is going to catch fire.  Today I am smoking an 8# whole chicken and I wanted to use some of my cherry wood, but I knew the wood was dry.  Even with the foil, at about 180F, I witnessed the biggest belch I have ever seen!  A huge exhaust of bluish smoke!  After that happened, all was well and regular smoke start coming out of the top hole, all was well.  I really don't know what causes the massive exhaust and would welcome anyone who could explain it to me.  The only down side I see is the scare it gives me, but the food continues to be smoked nicely!

I'm way too lazy to open the door. I use the Maverick. So I'm thinking the laziest method would be good. I did the foil boat with my wood today. Butt is on the smoker right now. Pleased to report no belch. I think I'll not worry about it too much if it happens then. But the foil boat seems to be a quick and easy thing to do if I think my wood is dry. I also seem to be getting some good medium sustained smoke with the foil boats.

Finished my first smoke in the #1 with Pork Butt (good choice for getting to know your smoker). A nice long smoke to break it in. Used Tony's brine recipe, and my own rub recipe. With the dial set to 225, the Maverick measured the ambient temp around 250. Stayed pretty stable at 250 after a few hours. The ambient probe was placed on the middle rack to the right of the meat (not touching anything). I only did a 5 lb butt, so maybe a brick in there would have given me a reading closer to 225. I'll experiment with putting the ambient probe behind the meat toward the back of the cooker next time. I should test the probe for accuracy too. Maybe I'll need to set the dial lower to achieve 225. Pork Butt is pretty forgiving, so 250 was fine for this one. I didn't worry about it too much. Took about 2 hours per pound to get to internal temp of 195. Rested wrapped in foil in a cooler for 1.5 hours. The most moist and delicious pork butt I've ever made. Great bark too! One thing I really noticed with the SI, is that I could really taste the FLAVOR of the wood (i.e. hickory/apple). With my Weber Smokey Mountain, I mostly just tasted "smoke", and could not really distinguish the kind of wood used.

The 2 hours per pound sounds exactly like it should be. So, it could have been your probe placement. I usually place it in the same racks the meat in between the meat and the wall of the smoker.

You are right about tasting the subtleties if the wood. I would also add that you will taste the flavors in your rubs a lot better too.

NDKoze said:
...and hate waking up in the morning. ;)

Beats the alternative, buddy! ;)  I always feel that if my eyes open, my feet hit the floor, and I'm still able to walk and talk, it's all gravy for the rest of the day! ;D

Back