Gotta Feed 90 to 110 people Saturday, will this be enough?

Papa Rick

We are having a Birthday Dinner for my Mother-In-Law who is turning 90 (Very Wonderful Woman for sure).  I volunteered to cook the meat.  I will have:

4 Boston Butts around 22lbs after smoked.
15 Racks Of Smithfield Extra Meaty Baby Back Ribs.

Several Questions here please.

1.  Will this be enough meat to serve that many people.

2.  How much meat do you figure for each person if it is only the Boston Butt?
I am going to include the Ribs, but going forward in the future wanted to know how to gage this.

3.  I smoked my Butts couple of weeks ago, then put them in the freezer. How far in advance should I be pulling them and putting in the fridge?  I pulled them this morning Thursday for Saturday?

4.  What is the best way to warm up that many racks of ribs? (I got the awesome advice about the crock pot slow warm for the butts and it has always been awesome)

5.  How much time should I give for the Butts to get nice and warm in the crock pot to serve?

Thanks in advance for your ideas, advice and suggestions.

You do not give a number of expected guests. If I were making those same amounts of meat I would expect it to feed 40-50 people somewhat generously.

I’d figure a precooked butt weighing 8lbs or so to feed 20 people. That is assuming you pull the pork.

I’ve read elsewhere figure about .5lb per person for one meat, a little less if you are serving two types. Perhaps .3lbs per meat served per person. Ribs are hard to guess on, figure 3 ribs per maybe?

Sides will help the meat go further. I had a good selection of apps, a regular slaw type salad with regular dressing (Olive Garden dressing, it was easier). Then a pot of pinto beans.

As for warming, you could use the smoker on a lower temp to hold the food at a safe temp. I used my oven last month when I cooked for my daughter graduation party. 85 people and I had 52lbs total. 36lbs of brisket and 16lbs of pork butt. I pulled it all after rest and then put it all in multiple half pans, sealed with plastic wrap then foil in the oven at my lowest setting of 170 and then served as I needed. It worked out well and I had 1 pan of each left over. I don’t know on time though for a reheat. I smoked eferything through the night to be ready by 12pm to serve at 4pm.

Hope that helps you out.

Everything  turned out great!!

Had a little left over.  First time doing this and was nervous about this but it turned out good.
Thanks for the advice!

Back