Got 3 Butts to Reheat for Church Function tommorow?

Papa Rick

I posted on here and Pork Belly responded to put them in cling wrap and then wrap in tin foil, and put oven on 250 until I get to internal temp of 145.  I have them individual sealed in the Vac-Pro sealer bags.  Making sure I'm understanding this. 

1.  Still would be best to wrap them with the cling wrap to be safe?
2.  Then wrap them in the tin foil until I get them to Internal Temp of 145.  Does this mean put the probe in them like I do when Smoking?
3.  Approximately how long will I need to plan to get these warmed up?  Going to be putting them in at the Church Sunday morning.
4.  They should come out juicy and moist like when I smoke them correct? 

Someone told me you can put one each in a crock pot and warm them up this way, but have never tried this either??

Advice and or suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED here.

I have never tried to warm up an entire BB in the oven or any other way.  I usually just pull them apart and then freeze them, but since I was doing this for our Church thought it might be better since it was 3 of them to do it this way. 

There is plenty of juice in the bag I sealed them in, just nervous that I don't mess this up since we have around 65 to 75 people looking forward to my BB.  I have served them before, but never froze the BB whole and then unthawed it.  Been in Fridge since Wednesday.

THANKS in advance for all the help everyone! ;D

Tall order Rick. If the bags are boilable and you have a large stock pot you could try getting them to temp in boiling water; more like a summer. A crockpot will work well out of the bag with the juice but may take Somme time. Are you pulling or slicing?  Pulling I would warm in bag, pull and into a large crock pot with liquid on low, fluffing/stirring occasionally to distribute heat and liquid. Just don't let it get dry.

I do not know the safe operating temp of your vacuum bags, I don't know if they can be heated . If you vacuumed them after smoking you can now remove that bag and use cling wrap and foil on the cold butt.

You can then reheat as I previously instructed. You can attempt boil in a bag or some other method, I have never done it that way and cant really offer an opinion on it. I have seen the way  I described used with great success many times. Good Luck.

DivotMaker
Administrator

Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
View Profile
Email
Personal Message (Offline)

Re: HELP! Boston Butts - Smoked In Advance for Gathering - Would like to Re-Heat

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »

Chris - I double-wrap in HD foil, as normal when removing from the smoker (fully-cooked, btw), then let rest on the counter until cool enough to place the whole wrapped butt in a vacuum bag.  The sealed bag is just to keep the juice intact and contained, while in the fridge.

When I reheat a whole butt, I just throw the foiled butt (remove the vac pack bag) in a low crock pot for 3-4 hours.  When you unwrap it, it's tender and moist for pulling.  Works great!

This is what I was thinking about doing as I will not be able to be in the Kitchen when they are getting reheated.

So if going the crock-pot route, take them out of the plastic Vac Pro bags, and put some apple juice in the bottom and on low for 3 to 4 hours?
From what I am reading on the above post, Tony puts them in tin foil correct and then in the crock pot?

Do you own an sous vide cooker like the Anova? If so throw the bag in and set to 145. Otherwise both Brian and Tony's methods work well. Simmering (don't boil) the vacsealed meat in a large pot of water for 30-45 minutes also works well, if your bags are rated for that. I have done it each way indicated with good results. It's hard to get bad advice from Tony or Brian. I have not seen it yet. Pick the method that is easiest for you.

Wanted to thank everyone for your advice and suggestions.

I went the route of putting a little bit of apple juice in the bottom of the crock pots.

Turning it on low and letting it just slowly warm up for about 4 hours.  All three of them turned out awesome!!

Thank you everyone again as always your advice and suggestions always help!!

Back