Good morning America!

Big daddy smoke

Hello everyone Happy 4th of July! Just got my SI #3! For the first cook tried a 12 bone 4#s of spare ribs. Turned out a little dry.  Set at 230 degrees didn't open for 4 1/2 hrs.,  I filled my Sasha with apple juice hung from rack next to the side wall it only used about 1/3 of the juice. Should I have had it closer to the heating element? How much juice should of been  used in the Sasha? My next smoke I'm more than just a little nervous since my ribs didn't turn out like I thought,  smoking two 10# and 1-8# pork shoulder for a party that need to be ready to eat by 6PM July 3rd. I see that I should allow approximately 1.5 hours per pound for cooking correct? With 3 shoulders do I need to allow extra time or do I calculate the time by using the shoulder closest to the heat?  With 3 shoulders, 28LBS total what temp should I be using? Do I need to rotate rack position (top to bottom)  in the #3 for the shoulders? If so, how often?  I did marinate 1 of the shoulders and am planning on marinating the other two shoulders.  Should I have the Sasha on the floor next to the heating element in back or is it ok to hang from bottom rack next to the heating element? After the internal temp reaches 205 degrees double wrap in aluminum foil with a blanket and place in cooler to settle juices correct?  Then shred. Any help would be greatly be appreciated as I'm feeling just a little uneasy with this process and the amount of meat I'm making! Thank you Kevin.

Here are my thoughts:

I see that I should allow approximately 1.5 hours per pound for cooking correct? Yes, but keep in mind that you also need to factor in at least 2 additional hours for resting.    My BBs usually finish around 1.5 hours when I set the smoker temp to 235F.

With 3 shoulders do I need to allow extra time or do I calculate the time by using the shoulder closest to the heat?  Each shoulder will smoke at the same time for the weight, so no additional time is required.  You might want to probe the bottom one to monitor IT, but you will also want to check the others as well when the bottom one reaches your desired IT.

With 3 shoulders, 28LBS total what temp should I be using?  I use 235F

Do I need to rotate rack position (top to bottom)  in the #3 for the shoulders? If so, how often?  No, I don't think so, but others may feel differently.

I did marinate 1 of the shoulders and am planning on marinating the other two shoulders.  Should I have the Sasha on the floor next to the heating element in back or is it ok to hang from bottom rack next to the heating element?  I put my juice pan next to the smoke box.

After the internal temp reaches 205 degrees double wrap in aluminum foil with a blanket and place in cooler to settle juices correct?  Yes, but I would recommend an IT of 195F, then wrap and rest.

Good luck...let us know how you make out!

Steve, thank you for replying. I will use your advice  for this smoke and let you know how it turns out and try to include a picture. Happy fourth of July!

Hi, and welcome, Big Daddy!  Steve nailed it, as usual!  I agree completely.  Water pan (you may just want to use a disposable aluminum loaf pan instead of the hanging pan) next to the smoke box, on the floor.

What kind of "pork shoulders" are you smoking?  The common cut for pulled pork is the bone-in Boston butt (which is the upper part of the front leg shoulder).  The other is the "picnic" cut, which is shaped more like a ham shank, and is from the lower part of the the front leg.  I ask because your results will vary between these cuts.  Boston butts absolutely make the best pulled pork.  Picnics tend to cook dryer, and have more bone to contend with.  Also, a third type, the "boneless pork shoulder" tends to be a Boston butt that is de-boned.  The boneless butts also tend to dry more.  Keep this in mind for future pulled pork...go bone-in Boston butt whenever you can.

Also, you said you marinated a shoulder; what did you use, and how long did you marinade it?  For pulled pork, a marinade really doesn't do much.  Marinades don't really penetrate the meat, and will likely not add much to a long smoke like a butt (it will cook away).  Marinades are great for thin cuts, or for grilling.  You'll get just as much flavor from coating the butts with yellow mustard and a good rub (I used Famous Dave's Rib Rub, most of the time).  It will also make better bark than a marinade.  If you want to add moisture, and change the flavor of the meat, brine the shoulders instead of marinating.  Go to the Brines & Injections section and look at Brine for Boston Butts.  Brining adds a whole new dimension to pork butts!

A huge shout out & thank you to Steve for sharing his expertise and wisdom in helping me create an an incredible pulled pork with 28lbs. Of pork shoulder! I could not  have "pulled" it off without your help!!! Everyone one was very impressed! I may have helped Steve sell an extra smoker! I have included a picture of two of the three shoulders I smoked. Happy 4th of July everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 357
Happy to help, Big Daddy!  Those shoulders look excellent and glad to know you had a huge success!  Cheers!

Back