gonna smoke some thick chops

thenewguy

Going to smoke some thick chops on sunday. Rubbed with maybe too much fatboy all purpose rub, covered with foil and setting in the fridge overnight. I plan on smoking with 3 oz hickory at  235 degrees until internal temp is 150. Is this going to work ok or have I just planned a disaster. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds good, bone in or boneless? I plan on doing some three rib thick bone in chops next time I see a bone in loin on sale. If no sales it will have to wait until I butcher hogs next fall.

One tip I will give is use plastic wrap on your meat after you have added a salt based rub. Salt can react with the aluminum. You might consider lowering your heat to 200 to keep the chops in the smoke longer.

My thinking is the chops are not thick so they will take the heat and come to temp fairly quickly. Smoking them at a lower temp gets more time in the smoke.

Those sound good, you should be fine at 200. Ever since I got my SI I have wanted to do some bone in chops. A recreation of a Pit BBQ place in Lano Texas, their "Big Chop" was bone in and three inches tall.

Pull 'em about 145 and throw them on a hot grill to sear!  Nothing like tender, smoked meat, with a good hot grill sear to finish!

Back