Getting ready for first smoke

MC1960

The #2 in suppose to be delivered on Wednesday, yesterday I picked up some Apple chips, we made Meatball's Memphis Dust, the one with the salt, and the Memphis-style BBQ sauce. I plan on seasoning the smoker when I get home Wednesday, getting a couple of racks of Baby Backs on Thursday, rubbing them down and putting them in the refrigerator, and doing the first smoke Friday, can't wait.

Enjoy I remember waiting for my first smoke last June and was surprised how well it turned out, I am glad that I bought a Smokin-It smoker. ;)

Good luck on your first smoke!

I would suggest getting some chunks though. chips are great for low temperature smokes like jerky or smoking or bacon, but for a higher temp rib smoke, the chip will most likely want to combust and start on fire which is something you don't really want.

Just a thought.

Let us know how it goes.

You may have some  of the sample wood left over after seasoning your smoker.  As for the lumber, if it hasn't been treated with anything to resist rot or pests, it should be ok. Also, if it's moisture content is too low, it might burn more than smoke.

+1
NDKoze said:
Good luck on your first smoke!

I would suggest getting some chunks though. chips are great for low temperature smokes like jerky or smoking or bacon, but for a higher temp rib smoke, the chip will most likely want to combust and start on fire which is something you don't really want.

Just a thought.

Let us know how it goes.

Here are a few places to get chunks online:
Smokinlicous
Maine Grilling Woods
Fruitawood

Love my #2. Best of luck and enjoy! You can find lots of info on these forums, was very helpful for me when I started and still today. I’m working on a big batch of bacon now.

Back