Getting Reacquainted

MNGuy1959

Hi Everyone:

I am not a new owner, I just have been inactive on the forum since last year due to some family health issues.  No worries, we are all doing great. 

I am the proud owner of a Smokin-It Model #2.  I reside in a Northwest Suburb of Minneapolis and am addicted to my Model #2 and am hoping to start using it more this Fall.  I am familiar with some of the people on here, but there are many new faces and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you as well as learning from this great forum. 

I have an old family recipe for some sausage that will allow me to use my smoker for the first time in quite awhile.  It is an old family recipe that I will be glad to share as I go through the process.  I have never done this before, so I am relying on family members to help me.  I will post the process over on the Sausage section on October 4th. 

I look forward to getting to know more people on this forum.  And Tony, so sorry it has been so long but I am glad to be back :)

Welcome back, Gene.  Glad to hear that all is well, and look forward to your future posts and sharing of recipes!  Cheers

Hi Gene!  Welcome back!  Glad to have you with us again.  More than a few new faces around here, so you have a lot of catching up to do! ;)

Thanks Tony.  Glad to be back!  I was reading up on all the cool things people are doing with the Auber.  I love the permanent probe mod you did.  Wow, I do have a lot of catchup indeed. 

Yeah, Gene, we've been busy!  Can't recommend the permanent probe enough - it takes your Auber to the next level!

I agree Tony.  I saw you permanent probe mod and man, it is a pretty sweet install.  I saw that I can now order this from the site.  I have never drilled into stainless steel.  Did you do a pilot hole first?  And just spray on some oil to keep the bit cooled down? 

I never knew I could even drill into a stainless steel sheet.  I so want to do this, but don't want to mess up my smoker. 

Thanks for all the pics and process, though, Tony.  I am close to just getting this installed.  I like the idea of a probe permanently placed so i can tune my Auber and have a consistent temp. 

MNGuy1959 said:
I agree Tony.  I saw you permanent probe mod and man, it is a pretty sweet install.  I saw that I can now order this from the site.  I have never drilled into stainless steel.  Did you do a pilot hole first?  And just spray on some oil to keep the bit cooled down? 

I never knew I could even drill into a stainless steel sheet.  I so want to do this, but don't want to mess up my smoker. 

Thanks for all the pics and process, though, Tony.  I am close to just getting this installed.  I like the idea of a probe permanently placed so i can tune my Auber and have a consistent temp.

Thanks, Gene!  Stainless is a tough drill, but not impossible.  The trick is a sharp bit, a pilot hole first, machine oil, and a firm backing to take the pressure!  You can't baby a stainless drilling - you have to use enough pressure so your bit is almost to the breaking point.  With adequate pressure, it goes pretty fast.  Just don't be shy!

If you have any problems, let me know!

Back