Gettin' Smoked!

Gene68

Just got new smoker (#2) today! Gettin the seasoning done tonight, then making some baby back ribs on Saturday. Interested to hear folks top smoking cookbooks. I just bought Smoke and Spice and is looking like a very good tailored book for smoking since most of the recipes are designed for the 220 degree range. Any other good smokin books out there?

Gene68 said:
Any other good smokin books out there?

Every section of the Recipes section, right here, for free! ;) 

Seriously, there are some good books available, but what you'll find is that many of the recipes & techniques (except rubs and sauces) are more geared toward "traditional" smokers, so they need to be modified to some degree.  I know people rave about Myron Mixon's book, and the Big Bob Gibson book looks very good, also.

Me?  I just wing a lot of my recipes from things I read here, on other BBQ forums, recipe sites, etc...  I like to gather free info, wherever I can, and let my imagination run with it!  To me, spending $20 for a nice picture book is not worth it.  But, that's just my view.  Nothing wrong with buying BBQ books, and learning what you can from them; I just don't.  Bought one about Carolina BBQ, and was sorely disappointed.  Done after that. :(

If I want to learn about specialties, like curing and sausage, you won't find better sources than Brian (PorkBelly) or Gregg (NDKoze).  Walt sure knows his seafood, with a Louisiana flare...and the list goes on!  There's really good experience here to take advantage of - for free! 8)

Hi Gene! 

Nice name.  I also have a Model #2 myself and have read a few books.  I bought Myron Mixon's book on smoking, but I have actually got my best results from right here in this forum.  The fellow forum members really know their smokers, and honestly, the recipes on here are incredible. 

You will love your smoker.  I love mine and these things are built great and produce some of the best results. 

Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing about your first ribs smoke in your Model #2.

Honestly once I find something I like I don't experiment. The only meal I have ever eaten in a Cracker Barrel Restaurant is Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and corn. It was good the first time and I see no reason to give up on it.

I'm the same way with Memphis Dust. Dust is awesome and I keep going back to it.

I'm the same way, Brian!  Once you find the "right" recipe, don't mess with it!  I just do a lot of searching when I'm trying to come up with something new.  Status "Q"uo, for me, on the stuff I like! ;)

Back