Full Spares?

SuperDave

I have a couple of racks of full spares that I seasoned up last night.  I've done St. Louis spares a few times now but was planning on doing the full spares (untrimmed) and see what happens.  Anyone been there, done that and have any reason not to do them this way? 

PSR_1_zpszr0zfuem.jpg

My first smoke in the #1 was full spare ribs, but had to cut them into. They came out really good. In your #4 you have plenty of room and mine were done in 4.5 hours at 235 degrees. Good luck

That's my favorite way, Dave - I don't cut them.  I like the tip meat attached; that's how all the rib joints around here do it, and it's pretty much what I grew up with.  Not as "pretty" as St Louis cut, but a lot more meat per rib!

5 hours later and they are done and resting.  I sauced at 4.5 hours and put back in for the last half hour.

PSR_2_zpsz3wn7pka.jpg

Dave, I have always smoked St. Louis cut spareribs but I might have to try the full slab of spare ribs after seeing this. Those look great!

Hey Dave looks mouth watering to me. Very nice mahogany color to the ribs. Lately have been getting the full spares and cutting them down to St. Louis style. I am saving the meat that I cut off to smoke and then put in pint bags to save for meat to add to baked beans. Then will go back to doing full spares. As Tony/DivotMaker said that is how the BBQ joints in the mid-west serves ribs, full racks. Or at least they do here in K.C. Also cold ribs with coffee in the am is a really good breakfast. That is if you have any left overs.

I confess, I snuck a sample.  I can't explain it but I have confirmed that no peek is my favorite way to prepare spares while I like wrapped baby backs better.  No peek spares just gives that clean competition bite through.  Heat profile was also real nice.  The rubs included 3 different off the shelf brands and some spice cabinet additions of my own. 

Sorry for not seeing this early Dale.  It was 235 for 4.5 hours, added a little sauce and back in for another 1/2 hour.  Wood was hickory and cherry. 

No sweat Dave, my ribs turned out fine.  I have been an avid "don't open the door till done" man, but think I will do the sauce as you explained next time. 

TexasSMK said:
No sweat Dave, my ribs turned out fine.  I have been an avid "don't open the door till done" man, but think I will do the sauce as you explained next time.

Hey Dale, I do mine the same way, as  add the sauce and back in the smoker for 30 min. I have also just pulled them and then added warm sauce prior to serving. Either way they are out of this world good.

SuperDave said:
Sorry for not seeing this early Dale.  It was 235 for 4.5 hours, added a little sauce and back in for another 1/2 hour.  Wood was hickory and cherry.
Hey Dave, Thanks for posting your smoking process for ribs! I normally use the no peek method but yesterday AI thought I'd give your method a shot and I have to say they were the most tender ribs I've ever smoked! Even got an "atta boy" from the wife...."these are really tender" My process was:
Over night marinade in Goya Mojo Chipotle
Rubbed with about 2 Tbs of McCormick Pork rub with 1/2 Tsp of ground Chipotle pepper
and into the fridge for 5 hours.
2oz of Cherry
Then into the SI#1 using your process....
Again the results were out standing.

Attachments

• Ribs100715.jpg
    Ribs100715.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Ribs 100715b.jpg
    Ribs 100715b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 362
gregbooras said:
Al,

The ribs look great, how long did the smoke take?

Greg
Greg,
5 hours total. 4 1/2 then pulled, sauced and wrapped in foil. Back in for 1/2 hour.

Al

Back