Foiling Baby Backs

bluecatpride

I am new to smoking so just want to ask question about the foiling part of the 2-2-1 process.  Instead of wrapping each rack, will it work as well to place the ribs in an aluminum foil pan and cover the top with foil?  Sounds like a dumb question but just want to know.

Most of us have been converted to the 5-6 hour no peak method. The Smokin-It smokers do such a good job of retaining moisture that foiling really isn't necessary.

Just place your cold right out of the fridge spice-rubbed ribs into a cold smoker with 2-3 ounces of wood (yes, it helps to weigh your wood), set the temp at 225°, and do not open the smoker for 5 hours. At the five hour mark you can sauce (if you like) and place back in the smoker for another 30-60 minutes and you will have some of the best ribs you have ever eaten.

I almost forgot that I always place a aluminum foil mini-loaf pan filled with beer or apple cider on the bottom of the smoker directly next to the smoke box.

Let us know if you have any questions as well as how your ribs turn out.

I am also a convert to the no peak method, although I do on occasion baste the ribs with BBQ sauce for the last hour.

The purpose of wrapping each rack in foil with some apple juice is to allow the juice to continue adding some moisture to the ribs as they continue to cook.  I am not sure if you place all of the racks in one foil pan with juice if it will have the same effect.  You could give a try and see how they turn out.  Or better yet, try foiling a couple individually and place the rest in a foil pan...you could test out the two methods after the smoke.

As Steve said, I would definitely experiment. That is how some of the best recipes/methods are created.

My thoughts on this:

I would be worried that placing the ribs in a foil pan of apple juice would not get adequate smoke coverage as they would have limited surface area available to the smoke.

If you try the no peak method, make sure that you don't try to compare 2-2-1 at the same time as the nature of 2-2-1 involves opening the smoker and invalidating the results of the no-peak. The no-peak is the key to success in this method. Keep the smoker closed for 4-5 hours minimum before opening to keep that moisture in the smoker.

If you want to sauce the ribs, do that in the last hour and you will be rewarded. Personally I hate cleaning up the sauce mess from my smoker grates, so I sauce my ribs and throw them in the oven in a sheet pan under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize the sauce. Much easier clean-up IMO.

I am not sure if there are right answers here because everyone's tastes are different. If you really want fall off the bone texture, smoking at 240 may provide better results. I like mine to fall off the bone and my bones are totally meat free when I am done, but I do like to be able to chew them off, not have the meat fall off when I pick up the bone. To each their own on this preference.

Bluecat - great advice here so far.  I also use the no peek method, and find the bark on the ribs to be much better than foil wrapped.  If you do go the foil method, I would avoid the pan and wrap the racks individually.  I think you'll limit the heat to the ribs too much in a pan, and will seriously lengthen the cook time.

Thanks for all the advice.  Think I will try the no peak this weekend.  I look at a lot of sights and rate this the best of all for advice and encouragement.

swthorpe said:
The purpose of wrapping each rack in foil with some apple juice is to allow the juice to continue adding some moisture to the ribs as they continue to cook.  I am not sure if you place all of the racks in one foil pan with juice if it will have the same effect.  You could give a try and see how they turn out.  Or better yet, try foiling a couple individually and place the rest in a foil pan...you could test out the two methods after the smoke.

I can actually attest that I have tried doing it both ways, and had much better results when I individually wrapped each rack in foil, as opposed to placing all of the ribs in a foil pan together.  I think this must be because the individually-wrapped racks are more tightly contained, and can hold onto that extra moisture better than when they all have to share a "communal" space.

You can try for yourself to see if you get different results, but speaking from my own experience, it is worth the extra time (and foil) to give each rack its own wrapping.

Cheers,

- Phil

Phil...

I think you are right 

For example when. I tent a pork butt versus wrap it tight on my old stick burner I would get much different results. Loved me both but different.

In addition I am in the minority... But even with the great seal and high moisture content of these units I still foil my ribs with the 2-2-1 method... We simply love our ribs falling off the bone ridiculous... Most don't like them this loose which is why the no peak method is so popular I can see. 

No wrong answers really but I agree with individual tight wrapping does something different.

Polish Q said:
Phil...

I think you are right 

For example when. I tent a pork butt versus wrap it tight on my old stick burner I would get much different results. Loved me both but different.

In addition I am in the minority... But even with the great seal and high moisture content of these units I still foil my ribs with the 2-2-1 method... We simply love our ribs falling off the bone ridiculous... Most don't like them this loose which is why the no peak method is so popular I can see. 

No wrong answers really but I agree with individual tight wrapping does something different.

Steve,  I use the no peek to make fall-off-the-bone ribs, I don't like them competition-style firm either.  I can't tell the difference in tenderness between the methods, just the quality of the bark, and the simplicity of it.  But, like you said, no wrong answers! ;)  Just wanted to clarify the firmness question.

I have done baby backs both ways and I prefer to not wrap them, no need with all the moisture and heat these smokers retain. 

I appreciate all the good tips as well. This is my first time smokin ribs in my #2 and I will try the no peek method!

Back