First try at pork butt roast

milleti

Picked up a 5-1/2 pound pork butt this morning, have but the rub on it, wrapped it up and placed in the frig till tomorrow morning.  I intend to slice this sweet baby and have a recipe that says it should take ~6 hours to hit 170 degrees.  I'm a little shaky with that so intend to stick the Maverick in it while cooking to make sure I get it to that temperature.  So I'm looking for some advice as to what you all think the best temp is to pull it for slicing.  Oh, and I'm going to lay some Maurice's BBQ sauce on it at the end also.

Sounds yummy!  I like pork butt for sliced pork - it's nice and juicy.  I usually smoke mine @ 225 until 175 internal temp for sliced (but 170 should be fine also), and 199 IT for pulled.  Wise to put the Maverick in; always cook large cuts by IT instead of time.  Ribs and jerky are the only things I smoke by time.

I haven't done it in years, but one of my favorites is pork rubbed with salt, pepper, and olive oil...  sliced...  and on a bun with mustard.  Simple and simply delicious.  I might have to make that soon.

and here are the results, simply the most moist sliced pork I have ever had.  The Maurice's BBQ Sauce put it over the top, momma said it was all worth waiting for!

Attachments

• 20140323_184941.jpg
    20140323_184941.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 348
Nice work!  By far my favorite cut of meat to cook.  I think it's because the home cooked version is always better than the restaurant version.  Congrats on the successful maiden pork butt voyage.

Back