First Spare Ribs

Jumanji

Anxious to get in another smoke, especially after my prime rib smoke which cast doubt on whether everything was working right because of long cook time and wood never burned.  This will be fourth smoke.  Baby backs first (which were pretty good but a bit dry as I smoked them too long), pork tenderloin which was perfect, and then a prime rib for Christmas which was very tasty, but no wood burn and no smoke flavor (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5840.0).  Saved by a very good rub!

This time thought I would try spare ribs.  Had done them on the gas grill before, and foiled them in that cooking process.  They came out very juicy and tender, but fat not cooked enough.  For the smoker try, I had two pretty large racks of spare ribs.  Removed the membrane, applied mustard and rub, and then left overnight in the fridge.  At noon today, started the smoke with 3 ounces of mixed hickory and cherry.  This time split the wood into 1/2 inch thick pieces (easy to do with a chisel).  Squared the wood box over the burner, which made it slightly off-center but the element aligned with the holes.  Put a foil pan of heated apple juice next to the wood box.  Foiled lined wood box and bottom, poked hole in bottom, and a foil "boat" in the drip pan to make cleanup easy.  Two slabs of ribs layed out with larger end to the back (which is hottest side in my smoker, judging from the wood burn.)  With the depth of the 3D, did not have to cut the slabs.  That was sweet!  All of this went into the smoker at noon, and used the standard P2 cook program of 235 deg F.

Got good smoke for a few hours.  At 5:15 pm, I checked them.  The thinner slab was done; the thicker one close.  Quickly sauced them with hickory maple barbeque sauce, and closed the door.  Thirty minutes later, removed the thinner slab.  At 6 pm, removed the other one.  Perfect timing as wife had Brussel sprouts roasting in the oven that were done at 6:05 pm.  Potato salad and sliced cantaloupe were the other sides.

Here are some pics of the smoker with the meat, and the finished product.  I went rib side down according to instructions, but put the fatter rack on the bottom.  Is that right?  Was thinking it might be better close to the wood box and element.  The four wood blocks (3 oz total), were completely turned to ash.

Also, this time I heated the apple juice in the microwave, prior to the smoke.  Just to get it up to temp.  Used the 13 oz bottle.  But same as with the other pork smokes I've done, seemed like there was very little liquid removed.  Although this is hard to measure accurately as there was some fat dripped into the foil pan.  Is this the experience of others as well - not much liquid used?

They were very tasty.  Pretty much competition consistency - firm, tender, but not fall-off-the-bone.  The fatter rack was cut in half and put in the freezer.  Got high approval marks from my wife.  That's pretty much the important thing.

Attachments

• IMAG1275.jpg
    IMAG1275.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMAG1277.jpg
    IMAG1277.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMAG1285.jpg
    IMAG1285.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMAG1288.jpg
    IMAG1288.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG1289.jpg
    IMAG1289.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG1290.jpg
    IMAG1290.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 333
Thanks guys.  Actually, I left out the part where I cooked them the first 1-1/2 hrs at 200 deg.  Not because I had some genius plan, and it certainly wasn't intentional.  I thought I had recalled the P2 pork setting of 235 deg, but instead it was back to the 200 deg prime rib cook!  Even at this point, not sure what happened.  Anyway, so I turned it off, restarted, entered 235 deg for 6.5 hrs, and then saved it as P2.  Will see if it was actually saved, next time I guess.

glad you had success with this smoke. I know the prime rib cook had you wondering.

I've cooked chicken a few times since my prime rib for holiday and have started to learn where to put the wood in relation to cook temp and time to perhaps get better smoke.

Your pics have me thinking ribs for the weekend!!!

Michael, glad you aren't a woman because I wouldn't be able to tell you how nice your rack looks.  Good to get the confidence swinging back in the right direction.

Yes, hopefully it is solved.  Will find out next time we do a lower-temp (200 deg) smoke.  I did take care this time to put the smoke box just a little to the left, and center it on the element and guard.  That makes the box just a bit off-center vs the drainhole and centerline of the smoker, but no big deal there.  Doing this aligned the element to the holes.  And I carefully placed each piece of wood over the holes. 

Nothing was left to chance.  Also made sure the drain hole was fully open/poked thru the foil.  Last time it was as well, but I also had lined the drip pan with foil.  The foil around the lip might have reduced air flow.  This time, I just shaped a foil boat to go inside of the drip pan, which didn't impede the air flow as much.  That might have contributed to (no) wood burn problem on the prime rib smoke.

All of this was probably unnecessary, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance this time.

And hopefully the PID issue here was just operator (newbie) error.  Thanks for the support and feedback, guys.

Looks like you're getting it figured-out, Michael!  I save the 200° smokes for beef that I will reverse-sear.  I wouldn't ever do pork or poultry at that temp...just my 2¢.

The spares look great!

I love how high the internal probe is mounted in the newer 3D's ... I really gotta get my gen1 3D probe mounted higher like that.

Yeah, Tony, it certainly was not my intention to smoke pork at 200 deg.  I thought I had it set at 235 deg.  I was horrified when I checked 1-1/2 hours into smoke and it was holding solid at 200 deg.  Still not sure what happened, but I shut it down, restarted, then manually put in the 235 deg for 6.5 hrs program, and then saved it under P2.  Will see if it recalls correctly next time I do ribs.  That's what I thought I had recalled at the start of this smoke, when I selected P2.  Maybe I missed something.  I can still claim novice, at least for a few more smokes!

I think that's an interesting point, about lining the drip pan so far up all of the sides that it impedes air flow through the bottom drain hole...hmmm. I usually line my drip pan so it's overlapping front and back, but not on the other two sides that slide through the guide rails. So I think my air flow is fine. But I can see how overlapping the foil on all 4 sides might have some effect. How much? Don't know.

Never thought about drip pan lining blocking airflow, but it certainly could!  I never line the drip pan...it cleans up too easy, and I like the sort of loose fit.  Folks that are having wood issues may be doing that, and we just didn't realize it.  You sure can't block off that bottom air/drip hole!

Back