First Smoke is going to be a Boston Butt

NDKoze

I am excited for my first smoke which is going to be a Boston Butt.

I mixed up a batch of Tony’s Pork Butt Brine and let it cool out on the deck (much faster than in the fridge this time of year).

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

I thought about getting a Briner Jr. But it so happens that I found a pretty good brining container right in my cupboard.

I have my favorite BBQ Rub (Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ) ready to be liberally applied.

http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-3518-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg-163-lb.aspx

I still haven't decided whether to use the traditional Yellow Mustard, or maybe Molasses or Honey for the binder. I am leaning toward the Mustard for the first smoke and may experience more going forward. I am open for suggestions though.

My plan is to get it rubbed around 11:00 and back in the fridge to be put on the smoker around 12:00 with 2 ounces of Hickory and 3 ounces of Cherry.

Attachments

• Pork Butt Brining Away.jpg
    Pork Butt Brining Away.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 332
  • Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning.jpg
    Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 352
How dumb would it be to put two mini loaf trays in (on both sides of the smoke box)? One with Beer and one with Apple Cider?

Not dumb at all, Gregg!  Good, solid plan.  I vote for mustard for binder on butts; let's the flavor of the rub come through, and works great!  Can't wait to see the results!

Well, here is where I am at as of right now:

I pulled the butt out of the brine last night at 11:00 and rinse it off good and patted it dry.

Applied mustard and generous amount of Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning, and then placed back in the fridge uncovered.

At 12:00 I put the butt into the cold smoker with a mini loaf tin of homemade Apple Cider and another tin of Redd's Strawberry Ale at 225 with 5.7 ounces of Hickory/Cherry. The outdoor temp hovered around 0 for most of the night, but the #3 didn't care and went up and down between 185 and 265. Some pretty big swings, but I think averaged out pretty darn close to 225, so I am pleased considering how cold it is outside.

This morning around 9:00 it appeared to stall at 167 where it sat for about 2 hours. Since then it has very slowly rise to a current temp of 180 about 14 hours in.

I am hoping the rate of increase on the IT speeds up or it won't be done until later on tonight. I am resisting the urge to crank the #3 up since it appears to be in the right temp zone.

Here is a pic of the butt before going in the smoker:

Attachments

• 7.76 ounce Boston Butt Ready for the Smoker.jpg
    7.76 ounce Boston Butt Ready for the Smoker.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 326
Looking good, so far!  Won't hurt to crank the temp up to 240 at this point to speed things along.  You've cooked it low and slow all the way through the stall, so it'll be ok to increase the temp.

Had to run some errands this afternoon, so left it go at 225 until I got home at 5:30. Cranked it up to 250 for about 85 minutes or so and it pushed it to 201 where I took it out double-foiled and into the cooler with towels on top.

I had to swat the kids away from the butt with wooden spoons as they were trying to pick at the bark.

All in all, I think it looks awesome!

Now for the agonizing 1 hour rest. :)

Attachments

• Finished Boston Butt - 2-15-2014 - 1.jpg
    Finished Boston Butt - 2-15-2014 - 1.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Finished Boston Butt - 2-15-2014 - 2.jpg
    Finished Boston Butt - 2-15-2014 - 2.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 330
Got it pulled and I would say a big hit with my two boys.

We ate until we were stuffed, put some in a zip lock for the fridge, and then vacuum sealed two bags. One for the freezer, and another for one of my neighbors who brought his Bob Cat over to plow my driveway while my snow blower was in the shop.

I have some St Louis cut ribs rubbed and in the fridge (from Costco) to put on the smoker tomorrow after church.

Thanks for all the help in making my first smoke a success!

Attachments

• Pulled Boston Butt - 2-15-2014.jpg
    Pulled Boston Butt - 2-15-2014.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 315
Back