First smoke in my #1...... Awesome!

thedave8

My first smoke in the smoke it number one, I did pork ribs I trimmed to St. Louis style. I then smoked the scraps with the ribs and used scraps in my pinto bean pot. They both came out amazing!!!! This smoker rocks, so simple to use. My only regret is I shoulda bot a number 2 or bigger!!! Lol

Welcome Dave (I'm assuming your name is Dave ;)). Thanks for joining us. When you get a chance, stop by the Introductions section and tell us about yourself.

The trimmings are an excellent addition to beans.

Heck, you can keep the #1 for small cooks and then go get a Big Brother (#3) for when you have big cooks.

If I had the money, I would love to get a #1 just to take camping in the summer. As it stands, I smoke my food at home and then vacuum seal and reheat while camping.

But how awesome would it be to flood the campground with a pork butt for 12+ hours  8) and make some people jealous. The only thing would be that you may end up with some extra guests.

Welcome, Dave!  I hear you're the Dave we've been waiting for! lol.  Congrats on your #1!  I had the same feeling on its size when I got mine.  But, it's really only a limiter if you cook for a bunch of people on a regular basis.  I only (regularly) smoke for 3, so it's fine.  One thing I really like about the #1 is it seems to be more temperature-stable, and food cooks great.  I think this is due to the smaller air volume inside that the element has to heat and maintain.  I have a #2 "test bed" smoker that we're testing some different options on, and I recently did a side-by-side smoke of 2 10 lb pork butts.  The #1 actually won on time to temp!  May have just been the difference in the meat, but I was proud of the little guy!

Good luck with your future smokes, and visit us often!  By the way, we love to see pictures of good Q around here! ;)

Thanks for the kind welcome, guys! This is a great BBQ forum! I've learned a lot just reading others' experiences...

Hi Dave, welcome to the SI forum. You will find some great ideas here and if you have any questions, simply start a new thread and you will find that everyone will jump in to help.

Contrats on the new smoker, you won't be disappointed. A choice well made without regret.

Back