First smoke and some questions.

pugs

Ordered my number 3 on Cyber Monday.  Finally did my first smoke last Sunday.  Tried Baby Back ribs.  I basically used this recipe and rub/sauce from his website:

http://howtobbqright.com/baby-back-ribs-competition-style-recipe/

Yah, kinda lazy bought the rub/sauce but I just wanted to get up and running quick without a bunch of extra variables.  So basically it was a 2/2/1 that I did.  Rub, 2 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped with sauce.  I did not do his basting stuff since I figured having a pan of beer down below would take care of that and I was trying to open the door as little as possible.  I will say for my first attempt at doing basically two racks turned out very good.  Oh, did I mention I really dont do much cooking.... LOL.

Anyway on to my questions:

1.  Temp.  I have seen from reading that these smokers can temp swing quite a bit.  I was using the top rack and had a probe just above the rack.  I had the dial set to the first mark past 200 so like 210-215?  My temps were swinging from about 205-260.  Granted I only had 2 racks of ribs and a water tray in there.  Is that normal?  Also, when its swinging like that should you just aim for the average of the high and low as your cooking temp?

2.  Smoke.  I was using some of the wood that came with it.  I had some chunks left after seasoning.  2 of the chunks were right around 3 oz and the last one was closer to 2.  I used one of the 3oz chunks and some of the small bits of wood from the bag.  The food came out great and you could taste the smoke.  But my question is after the first 2 hours when I removed them to wrap the ribs, the smoke seemed to be over and done.  Should I have added more at some point?  At the beginning?  Middle?  Since its a larger model, do I need more wood?  Or is this about right?  Once you wrap them, its more of an oven at that point...but should I have smoke for the last hour when they are unwrapped?

3. Cleaning.  I foiled the bottom and the hood of the wood box.  But I notice some stuff got under the bottom foil and it looks like some stuff may have splashed up onto the sides of the wood box after hitting the bottom.  How crazy do I need to get cleaning any of this?  I dont want to scour it and remove the seasoning right?  But I dont want it to affect future smokes from not being clean enough either.

4.  My last one is about ribs.  What area should I leave them in longer or shorter to change how easily the meat falls off the bone?  Honestly my parents really enjoyed them as is, but I am just curious since some people like the meat to stick to the bone a bit more and I prefer it just about falling off on its own.

Thanks.

PS when did these models with built in Auber's come out?  Sheesh maybe I should have waited LOL.

Pug, first let me welcome you to the site from ND. You are going to love your new #3. When you get a chance add your name to your signature as we are a close knit community here and like to know the first names of our new friends. Also take a moment to introduce yourself in the Introductions section and let us know a little bit about your smoking background and what brought you here.

I would encourage you to check out the recipes section as there are a lot of great tips there for virtually all types of smokes. As a new smoker there are a few threads I would encourage you to read:

Basics for beginners - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2078.0
Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

If you have used other smokers, you are going to find that many of the processes like spritzing and foiling used in propane and stick burners are not necessary with your SI.

For example, you will find that the vast majority of people here do not bother with 2+2+1 or 3+2+1. Leave the foil for covering your smoke box and the bottom of your smoker. The moist environment in the Smokin-It smokers makes the foiling unnecessary although some people still like to use these methods. If you are a diehard foiling guy, you owe it to yourself to try both ways and see which one you prefer.

We use what we call a no-peak method. This method basically says that you don't open the door for a minimum of 4 hours. Put a water pan (disposable mini loaf pan work great) on the floor of the smoker right up against the smoke box filled with juice/beer/water. Don't place water pans on the shelves as it can cause temperature control issues. Use 2-3 ounces of wood and smoke at 235 degrees. On my #3, my baby back ribs take 5-6 hours and spare/St Louis cut ribs take 6-7 hours for my liking. But for a new smoker who is still getting to know their smoker I would recommend to start checking on the ribs at 4 hours and every 30-45 minutes after until they are done to your liking.

The models with the built-in Auber just came out within the last couple of weeks and look to be great units. But, don't worry about the temp swings. They will not affect the outcome of your final product. They are working on an add on option to add this built-in Auber to the pre-Auber smokers. More info on that to come.

No, you don't need to add more wood. After the initial heavier smoke is done, it will continue to smoke lightly. 2-3 ounces is all you'll need for most 5-6 hour smokes. For Boston Butts or Briskets you'll want to use 5-6 ounces. I would encourage you to buy some high quality smoking wood at a reputable wood supplier. Most of the wood that you will find at big box stores is garbage. Many of us here (me included) buy our wood from Smokinlicious.com. This is just awesome wood!

Regarding cleaning you don't have to go overboard with this. What you experienced with the drippings getting under your foil is totally normal. If there is a lot of grease/drippings I will just wipe out with paper towels and maybe once or twice a year will do a more thorough cleaning with soap and water. I don't wash my side rails. But I do wash my racks in the dish washer.

Welcome, Pugs!  Gregg said everything I would have....spot-on, as usual!  Stick to the recipes you find here on the forum.  Many of the ones, like you referenced, assume you are smoking on a traditional smoker.  Many of the techniques they use are to counter the drying-effect of the heat source; just not necessary with the sealed, oxygen-deprived environment in our smokers.  They maintain moisture better than any stick or charcoal burner.  Use the water pan, and just keep that door closed until they're almost done, then start checking.  Ribs are one of the only things most of us smoke without probing the temperature; a little practice, and you'll know what works for you.  One more thing - stop monitoring box temperature, it will only make you crazy.  Just trust that the controller will average-out to the temp you are looking for.

All of the above. Don't worry about not getting the model without the Auber. Your smoker will function great without it. Many of us don't have it, and many of us don't feel we need it. Then there are others who absolutely can't live without it (bbq nerds). Just kidding bbq nerds! Get a bunch of smokes under your belt and decide if you want to add it. Sounds like the cost of the retrofit wouldn't be much more than buying it that way originally.

Your temp swings sound normal. The swing range might decrease once more seasoning builds up.

As far as cleaning, grease will get under the foil at the bottom. I use an old plastic credit card to scrape out the excess, then wipe with paper towels. No need to ever clean it like shiny new again. Leaving the seasoning is good.

DivotMaker said:
Ribs are one of the only things most of us smoke without probing the temperature; a little practice, and you'll know what works for you.  One more thing - stop monitoring box temperature, it will only make you crazy.  Just trust that the controller will average-out to the temp you are looking for.

I hear you on the box temp but, should I just set the box to 235 or try to average 235(box set at like 210) like I did this past time since I was only doing 2 racks of ribs up at the top of the box?  If I set the knob on 225 or 235 its going to be hitting 300 or more on the top rack I would guess.

I did quite a bit of reading on here before, but had some trouble finding full on recipes.  Alot of the things I read in the different meat sections were too vague for a beginner to follow.  I will check that 2nd link NDKoze posted.  I did read the beginners basics section.  Thats where I found the wood amount and the water pan(I used beer).

I will at some point try doing them without wrapping, but I plan to repeat the same thing I did for our Christmas eve.  I dont want to vary it much since they turned out darn good the first time.

I started out doing the 2-2-1 method, but found that just putting the ribs in at 225-235 for five fours took care of the need to keep moving the ribs in and out of the smoker.  I have a  #2 and I follow the no-peaky version for ribs.  I take them off at about 4.5 hours (smoking at 225F), and give them some sauce, and then back on for another 30-45 minutes.  I have not been disappointed. 

Marty, since your smoker seems to run a little hot, I'd just set the dial on 225 and call it good.  You'll get to know your times, when you do a few rib smokes.  Put them in with the water pan, and don't check them until at least 4 1/2 hours.  3 racks of meaty baby backs usually take me 5:15 - 6 hours, depending on the ribs.

Also, one of the main reasons I was keeping a good eye on the temps was when I did the seasoning of the smoker very early on the GFCI outlet tripped.  Its a new outlet and the first time it has been used(garage was torn off and rebuilt about 1.5 years ago and its about the only outdoor outlet I have now...need to get one out on my deck but for now this is it).  I was watching temps from inside the house(it was raining out too) just to make sure it was kicking on/off as it should be and not ruining my ribs.

Gotcha.  It will just take some time to get to know your smoker.  Once you do a few smokes, you'll have it dialed-in!

They came out pretty good set at that 210 or 215.  I actually didnt start timing them until the temps hit 225 for the first 2 hour stint and kinda the same every time I opened the smoker.  Let it get back up to temp and start the clock again so it was probably a bit over 5 hours total.

As I said I am going to do a repeat the same way because I know it worked well and I dont want to experiment for Christmas.  But in the future I will go more over to the no look method and try to hunt down some recipes here.  I just looked at a few rib posts in the recipe section but all it was, were pictures of ribs that someone cooked and no instructions...or questions on cooking times...or...  Where do I find the actual recipes at in there(like full instructions for every step of what was done).

Ribs become a "standard," with common prep for most of us, Pugs.  We take for granted the prep that we use by Rote.  I've been meaning to do this, so thanks for reminding me!  I'll post a "step-by-step guide" to ribs, with prep time, in the Pork section.  Hope it helps!

I havent been around much lately but thanks.  I still need to post in the newbie or welcome section.  The holidays came and went then it got darn cold for a while.  Now that the weather is starting to break, I need to get some wood ordered and start smokin.

I will look for that step by step.  My next project is probably going to be a turkey breast.  Mom has been hounding me to try that.

SuperDave said:
DivotMaker said:
It's pinned to the top of the Pork section, Pugs!  Hope it helps!
Turkey - pork section?

I believe he was referring to his previous post about a step-by-step for ribs, Dave, when he asked about it on 12/22, and I told him I would post one, for ribs, yes, in the pork section.  Could be wrong, though... :-\

Back