First Shot at Ham

BedouinBob

So I was inspired to try a ham by Pork Belly’s to the point I just had to give it a shot. I used the recipe he showed from the Meateater Hunting Show since this was a first try.

Here’s his link: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1986.0

I brined a 10 pound pork shoulder for 9 days, let it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours, and then began smoking away with 3.5 oz of apple wood. At 2.5 hours the ham was at 70 deg F. I left it a little longer before putting on the glaze since I like a little more smoke. I used about half the glaze for my ham so I will cut that back next time. Then back to  the smoker with an additional 3 oz of hickory for an additional 9.5 hours before the ham got to 155. 

I have to say the SI #2 worked great and I ended up with a really nice ham! It was very moist and juicy as you can see from the pictures and the flavor is amazing! The glaze gives a nice sweet counter to the salty. Yum!

I think next time I will try injecting the brine near the bone as Pork Belly suggested because as you can see from the picture of the slices, there is a little bit that didn’t brine completely in the center.

I was surprised how easy this really was and I have to say I don't think I will go back to a store bought ham any time soon.

Attachments

• Brined Ham.jpg
    Brined Ham.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Ready to Smoke.jpg
    Ready to Smoke.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 294
  • With the glaze.jpg
    With the glaze.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 292
  • All Done.jpg
    All Done.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Sliced Ham.jpg
    Sliced Ham.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 299
That looks great! Save that bone for making some beans. I was thrilled with the results, I'm glad yours turned out well. It is such a better flavor than a store bought ham. The glaze recipe does make too much I had extra also.

That looks great, Bob!  I think the picnic roast is a great choice for the homemade ham - probably better than a Boston butt (looks more like a ham, and is shaped more like the ham shank).  Local WalMart Neighborhood Market had a bunch of skin-on picnics this weekend.  Almost bought one, but already had a weekend full of meat.

Brian - what about the skin?  Should you leave it on during brining, then remove, or take it off before brining?

Leave the skin on it on but, score it prior to smoking. Cut through the skin but not all the way into the fat layer. Do a nice diamond pattern.

Thanks guys. Personally I am a leave the skin on kind of guy. I think it helps hold moisture in and then you also have fine makins for cracklings by baking or frying til crisp. Just don't tell your doctor! 😊

Back