First ribs in the 3D

pd444

This is my 2nd weekend with the 3D and third smoke.

2 racks of St. Louis ribs

Details:
Rub - my own #1 rub (brown sugar based)
Rub time - ~13 hours
Out of fridge time - 1 hour
Wood - 3.9 oz Hickory (came with Smokin-It)
Positioning - top rack/side by side
Moisture - 12oz PBR/4oz water/next to the fire box
1st cycle temp - 235
1st cycle trigger - 5.0 hours
2nd cycle temp - 170
2nd cycle trigger - 2.5 hours (ended after ~1.5)

start time - 11:15 AM
finish time - 5:40 PM
total cook time - 6:25

Damn fine ribs. I was hesitant to go to the electric smokers but I have never had an easier time making ribs in my life! I guess I always knew it would be easy but never expected it to be so easy. Most of the electric smokers I've seen leak like a sieve or can't hold a steady temperature (usually because of those leaks!). The SI is very impressive.

Love it all!

pd444 said:
This is my 2nd weekend with the 3D and third smoke.

2 racks of St. Louis ribs

Details:
Rub - my own #1 rub (brown sugar based)
Rub time - ~13 hours
Out of fridge time - 1 hour
Wood - 3.9 oz Hickory (came with Smokin-It)
Positioning - top rack/side by side
Moisture - 12oz PBR/4oz water/next to the fire box
1st cycle temp - 235
1st cycle trigger - 5.0 hours
2nd cycle temp - 170
2nd cycle trigger - 2.5 hours (ended after ~1.5)

start time - 11:15 AM
finish time - 5:40 PM
total cook time - 6:25

Damn fine ribs. I was hesitant to go to the electric smokers but I have never had an easier time making ribs in my life! I guess I always knew it would be easy but never expected it to be so easy. Most of the electric smokers I've seen leak like a sieve or can't hold a steady temperature (usually because of those leaks!). The SI is very impressive.

Love it all!
You and I were in the same boat, not being sure about an electric smoker. Several of my friends have them, but I'm the only one to now have an SI 3D in the group. And you are right about the ease and simplicity. Cooked pork steaks last evening and they were great. Since I own several different cookers, they'll all get used, but now there's another weapon in the arsenal. You're going to enjoy the 3D! Happy Smoking.

Looks like you have found what we all have since using the SI smokers, that its ridiculously easy to make delicious Q. Enjoy!

Back