First Ribeye steaks on the SI #1

Donmac

This was the first time trying steaks in the SI #1 for me. Sunday's late lunch.

I picked up two 1lb. Ribeye steaks at the butcher and Rubbed them down with some black pepper and kosher salt.

Put them in smoker @ 225 top shelf with 1 1/2oz. of the new Red Oak I got from smokinlicious.com as a sample.

I have never used Oak before in any of my smokes, so this is a new wood for me too.

The plan was to cook to 120IT and then reverse sear in the cast iron skillet with butter for 2 minutes a side.

It took an hour and fifteen minutes to reach the 120IT.

My wife and I both said that these where the best steaks we ever tasted, mainly due to the smoke profile using the Red Oak we believe. It was a really flavorful smoke taste.

Attachments

• ribeye1.png
    ribeye1.png
    633.5 KB · Views: 379
  • ribeye2.png
    ribeye2.png
    174 KB · Views: 451
SuperDave said:
Don,
Great looking steaks.  I've not done steaks in the smoker but looks like you had great results.

I don't think I will cook steaks any other way now, man I love the SI smokers.

Outstanding. I used to cold smoke my rib-eyes with a tube smoker...now I can let the SI do the work.

Red Oak is great for beef. That is California's claim to fame: Santa Maria style. White Oak/Live Oak is real nice also.

Great looking steaks Don! I bet they tasted even better than they look! Haven't done steaks yet but you have inspired me to try it.

Fantastic, Don!  Next time, try smoking at 200; it works great for the "low & slow, reverse-sear" method.  You'll get a little more smoke, and the pink will go all the way edge to edge (like yours).  I use this technique for things like prime rib and top sirloin roasts.  Beef can definitely handle the 200° smoke safely. 

DivotMaker said:
Fantastic, Don!  Next time, try smoking at 200; it works great for the "low & slow, reverse-sear" method.  You'll get a little more smoke, and the pink will go all the way edge to edge (like yours).  I use this technique for things like prime rib and top sirloin roasts.  Beef can definitely handle the 200° smoke safely.

Will give that a try Tony, thanks for the tip.

Hey Don, the steaks look really good. I also use oak and maple together on beef. I learned that one of the smoke house in K.C. does that. For pork I like to use hickory and cherry.

Great looking steaks, Don.

Just wondering aloud about the reversing the process: searing first and then smoking them.  Would the sear create too much of a barrier for smoke absorption?

Hey Gary, you really do not want to do the reverse sear need to be done at the end of the smoke. If you do it first the smoke will not penetrate the meat.

grogorat said:
Great looking steaks, Don.

Just wondering aloud about the reversing the process: searing first and then smoking them.  Would the sear create too much of a barrier for smoke absorption?

I'm not sure that it inhibits smoke penetration, but am sure it over-cooks the outside of the meat.  Searing first cooks the outside.  Then, when you slowly cook the inside, you are cooking the outside even more.  What you end up with is a pink center, and at least 1/4" of medium-well to well outside.  Slow smoking first, then searing, gives you pink from edge to edge.

When I smoke steaks, I smoke first to a temp of 130IT or so, then a quick reverse sear.  This method gives you  a nice pink color all the way through the steak rather than just in the center.

Back