First Pork Shoulder

NKoehler

I smoked my first pork shoulder on my 2D today. Boy was I nervous but it turned out perfectly! It was nearly 8.5 lbs. and it took 16.5 hours to hit an internal temp of 195F.

I used a rub consisting of:
  • 1 Cup brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoon paprika

Attachments

• PorkShoulder.jpg
    PorkShoulder.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 317
Thank you! I was very happy with the way it turned out. I should allow myself a bit more time on the next one. I estimated incorrectly and dinner was a little late. I started it at 2AM with a goal of eating by 6PM. We ended up eating closer to 7PM. No complaints though!

Yep - factor in some time to let it rest. I’ve let pork butts rest for 3-4 hours, double wrapped in foil, then a towel and sitting in an ice chest. Seems to do some extra magic!

But it also gives you some extra cook time if needed. I’d say 2 hours/lb is a good way to estimate the time. Then add in your rest.

Glad everyone enjoyed it! The bark looks great on it!

What internal temp do you shoot for with a pork shoulder? I'm using the suggested temps and time from this forum. I wanted to at least hit 195F and I really only let it rest for about 15 minutes before shredding. I've seen some people go up to 200F-205F.

This was also the first time I cooked to temp with a probe so programming took me a bit of time to figure out. I usually just cook by time when doing ribs.

The bark is so flavorful!

I usually shoot for 195* as my target. But, I’lll start checking at 190*. What I’m really looking for is the tenderness that I want, I’ll pull at the pork and see what give it has and go from there. I’ve found that 195 is usually pretty good for what I want. And then the 1-2 hour wrap/hold helps finish it off. Really, if you are cooking with a bone in butt, you want the bone to come out easily, at least I do.

But that’s what I aim for. Even on brisket, I feel 195 is perfect. But that is my preference and how I go, others may go a bit higher. So you just have to try a few out and see what you like.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you. I was more than happy with the way it turned out. It fed us several times.

I took a look at that brine recipe and I will definitely give it a try next time.

Back