First Ever Brisket - Model 3D Wifi

tostitobandito

Just got my model 3D Wifi after the cyber Monday special, so naturally I had to cook a brisket immediately.  Here is a brief summary of what I did, the results, and my thoughts.

I bought a 16.88 pound USDA prime packer from Costco.  Probably would've gotten something a little smaller, but this one had the nicest flat and the best fat so giant brisket it is.  It had a lot of extra fat, so I lost over 4 pounds in the trim.  I did a trim similar to what Aaron Franklin demonstrates, leaving the two muscles connected and streamlined but cutting off extra fat and thin meat that will burn, and trimming the cap to about 1/4".  I've seen other videos where people really go in and cut out all the hard fat between the point and flat almost to the point of separating them, but opted not to go that route.  I seasoned with just salt and pepper and let it warm up for about 1.5 hours or so before putting it in the smoker.

For the cook I decided to go at 250F using about 7 oz of white oak and two loaf pans full of water, one on either side of the fire box.  After some annoyance getting the wifi working again (it worked fine a few days previous when I seasoned it), I got it going at about 11:30pm.

[*]After 5.5 hours or so of smoking the flat was already just past the stall at 175 or so and the point was about 6-8 degrees behind mid-stall.  I was shocked at how fast it was moving along so I lowered the temperature to 240F.  This brisket was over 12 pounds trimmed so I fully expected at least a 12 hour cook.
[*]By about the 8 hour mark the point was 180F and the flat close to 190F, so I lowered the temperature again down to 230F.  I was worried I was going to kill the flat before the point was done.
[*]By about the 11 hour mark the point and flat had about evened out with each other at 195F or so.  This probably would've happened if I'd just left the temperature alone, but I was paranoid and didn't want to overdo the flat before the point rendered.  Anyways, all good at this point.  Probed tender except for a couple spots, so decided to go a couple more degrees.
[*]Pulled it after about 11.5 hours at 197-198F throughout.  Wrapped it in butcher paper and then in foil and deposited in a cooler with some towels to rest until dinner time.  One thing I'll note here is that it was sort of difficult to get the brisket out intact.  I tried grabbing it with BBQ gloves but it was so tender I thought it was going to tear apart, so I ended up pulling the entire rack out and sliding the brisket off onto my counter.  There was plenty of nice bark on there, so next time I think I'll strongly consider wrapping it in butcher paper about halfway through the cook, in part to help make the thing easier to handle once it's done and super jiggly.

The flat was pretty damn good.  It was tender and juicy but held together well.  It passed the pull test.  If I'm being critical it may have been ever so slightly overcooked as it maybe could've been pulled a degree or two sooner and been even more tender.

The point on this particular brisket was extremely heavily marbled, fatty, and large.  It cooked extremely tender, to the point where it was somewhat difficult to get clean slices of it.  Even the big bands of harder fat were about as well rendered as they can be.  Similar to the flat, if I'm being critical here if I'd pulled it slightly earlier maybe it has a bit more integrity while remaining tender and juicy.  It was mouth wateringly delicious though, and I even got some solid burnt ends off of it.

A contributing factor may have been that my cook finished much earlier than I was expecting so the brisket got to sit in a cooler staying warm for a good 5 hours before being served.  It's possible this may have contributed to things like the point being overly tender, compared to if I'd served it after a 1-2 hour rest.

Anyways, I was very pleased overall considering this was my first brisket.  Everyone seemed to really enjoy it including myself.  I definitely learned that these smokers being insulated like they are will cook faster than traditional offset pits at the same temperature setting.  If I went 250F all the way the brisket is probably done in 10 hours or less.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I'll just have to play with temperatures more in the future and be aware when reading guides geared towards wood burning smokers that the SI smokers are sort of like an oven as well so they may cook more efficiently than something like an offset.

Sounds like a great first cook!

Your cook was very similar to mine last week. 15lb prime packer that I trimmed down. Went with 250* and it took just over 10 hours, point being at 203* when I pulled it. I had to let it sit in the cambro for 6 hours, which may have lead to the point being as you describe. I was able to slice it but it fell apart when you picked the slices up. The flat was nearly perfect, when using the bend test. Held together hanging over my finger but then pulled apart when I tried.

I do like the idea of using the butcher paper to help get the brisket out of the smoker with ease. I’ll try that next time. But is am goi g to tart smoking with the higher temp and plan for a shorter cook. Many on the board here smoke at 275*. I haven’t tried that yet, but this was a great result!

Keep posting your cooks! How did you like the WiFi functionality of the 3D?

Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.  And it is good to read that your inaugural smoke was a success.  Congrats!

barelfly said:
How did you like the WiFi functionality of the 3D?

Kind of a mixed bag, but overall fine I guess. 

Working in tech I understand how they've got this setup; you configure the smoker on your 2.4 wifi, the smoker talks to their server in the cloud, and then your device's app talks to the same server in the cloud to get any updates your smoker pushes there and to make updates to the smoker.  The main issue I think I've been experiencing is wifi connectivity from the smoker itself.  My network is fine as my phone in the same location on my deck where I had the smoker picks up my 2.4 network with no issues, but the smoker seems finicky and will lose connectivity for periods of time before picking it back up again.  I can tell because the blue light starts blinking.  When I first got it setup to start my cook I couldn't get it to connect at all and had to do multiple factory resets on it before I got it added to my app again.  It was really strange.  Maybe the wifi antenna in the Auber module is just really weak or something.  I might try putting it onto another 2.4 wifi network from a range extender on the same floor as it is, and see if it does better with that.

The other complaint is the app itself.  It takes quite a while to refresh when you ask it to, and it frequently times out.  Usually it will recover on its own eventually and get you data the next minute or whatever, but sometimes it gets in a bad state and you need to restart the app.  I think the sluggishness is mainly due to the long round trip any command or data needs to make and the slowness of the wifi/processor in the Auber controller, but I've seen other similar devices/apps that deliver a better user experience so this is a little frustrating.

Aside from these issues, I'm pleased with the functionality while it's working.  It was fantastic being able to sit in my bed as my brisket cooked overnight and just pickup my phone to check on it and/or adjust temps.  That's exactly why I wanted this.

Tostito, your a Briskitarian for sure. Great 1st smoke on your new 3D! Many more to come. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the family, tostitobandito!  (FYI, our community does generally reveal our real names to one another.  You're invited to do so, though we'll still respect you in the morning if you choose not to.  :)  )

Back