First cook in my new 3D

ibbones

Did my first smoke, a 9.97 pound pork butt for family.  Brined it for about 7 hours and put in in the smoker at 11:45pm on Friday night.  Used 1 1/2 chunks of Hickory that came with the smoker and one chunk of Cherry. Just under 6 oz. Heavy rub of salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Cayenne, and Paprika with a handfull of Brown Sugar.  Set the program to 190* for 2 hours then up to 225* for the rest of the night.  Was hoping to be ready about 3:00pm and rest for a 6:00pm supper.  Not sure why but it was done by 10:00am Saturday morning.  I had the smoker probe and the Maverick with 2 probes.  All were showing within three degrees so I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and towels and let it set for the next few hours.  Pulled it and into the crock pot with Sweet Baby Rays sauce and apple Cider Vinegar and kept in on warm. 
It was really good and only enough left over for about two sandwiches ( big crowd).
My old smoker took a lot longer so I have to learn this one but that is the fun of practice.
Ready for my next cook. :)

I run a very similar program as yours and mine usually are done around 1:00-2:00. But there are occasional fast ones that get done early.

The timing on pork butts still drives me a little nuts.  I did a 10.2 pound butt this past weekend.  I brined it for 12 hours.  I put it on at 7 PM at 225 and it didn't hit 190 until 4:30 pm the next day.  That 21 and a half hours and the last 3 hours I bumped the temp up to 235.  It tasted great and was still nice and moist but it took for ever.  The first ten pounder I ever did only took 15 hours at 225.

Butts usually take 1.5-2.0 hours to smoke. So, your 15 hour and 21.5 hour times for 10+ pounders are definitely in the normal range.

The best thing you can do to try to get some type of consistent cook is to buy your butts from the same place and use as close to the same size as you can. But even with doing this, each cut of meat is unique and will often times have a mind of its own.

I buy 90% of my butts from Sam's Club as they have by far the best quality and price combination that I have found. 95% of my Sam's butts do not even need any trimming.

Back