First Butts Very Good

camanosalmon

Initially, thought I had purchased a 14.6# "boneless" shoulder butt. When I opened the package the were two butts, based upon reading some postings, I decided to smoke them both at the same time. One of the butts was a little smaller (6 1/2#, the other about, 8#). Coated with mustard and Famous Dave's rub, set the Auber at 225 and a meat temp of 200. I put Probe 2 into the thickest chunk of the biggest butt.
When done, the smaller butt was a little dry, but still good, the thicker cut was more moist. Do you guys  prefer "bone in" butts for possibly a little more flavor? Started at 7:00PM last night, total smoke time was about 13 1/2 hours to get to 200, should I have stopped at 195 based upon the different weights?.
The "stall" came at about 6 hours at 169 degrees, Auber temp was bouncing between 223 and 232, is this normal?
We're eating pulled pork is PM, wow!. Great  to have the experience of the first smoke. I didn't "peek", but, was up several times checking. This week, a Maverick will become my new best friend.
Thanks for all your posts and your help.
Bob

Nothing wrong with your preparation but some guys swear by brining the butt to add moisture, that is a preference, but it does increase moisture. Your mistake was probing the bigger butt.

You should have probed the smaller one then quickly pulled it and switched the probe to the larger one after the small one hit 200.

Sounds like you did well on your first smoke, Bob!  I prefer bone-in Boston butts.  I also agree with Brian - probe the smaller one, then finish the larger one.  One question: did you double-wrap them in foil and let rest in a cooler after, or did you go straight to pulling them?  The rest makes a big difference in moisture-retention.

On your final temp of 200 - there are many opinions on this.  I used to go 199-201, but have modified to remove at 195, then wrap and rest.  When wrapped, the butts will continue cooking another 5 degrees.

All in all, though, sounds like a very successful first smoke! ;D

Well done, Bob...you are off an running -- quite bold to go two butts on the first smoke!  Try Tony's suggestion next time to pull at 195F and double foil for a resting period of at least one hour.  I learned the hard way that the rest period is essential to allowing the juices in the pork to redistribute before pulling.  Cheers!

Thanks for the input. I did single foil the butts, then wrapped them in a towel and placed them in an ice chest (no ice) for about an hour. My son has a barrel smoker and recommended this. I'll try "bone in" butts the next time and brining. Which Maverick do you guys recommend? My SI 2 is already for the next go around, looks great with the black cover. October/November will be a smoked salmon adventure. Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob
I bought my Maverick off Amazon but I Paid an extra $10 and got 3 probes. I got 2 food probes and 1 oven probe.
My model was ET-733. I think the 733 is the newest addition. But you can only use 2 probes at once anyway.
Don't forget to take some pics of your next smoke
Tony

I prefer the 733 because you can see both probe temps on one screen at the same time vs. the 732 where you can only see one probe temp at a time. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 732 switches back and forth between the two probes.

The 733 was only $10-$15 more, so for me I think it is a now brainer to get the 733. Nothing against the 732 that works great if you have one.

I got my 733 with a free pair of bear claws from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Thermometer-Handlers/dp/B00GM0RXQQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408386071&sr=8-4&keywords=maverick+et-733

The 732 also shows both temps on the wireless (carry with you) device.  It toggles back on the forth on the unit that directly connects to the probes.  Either 732 or 733 will do the job!

swthorpe said:
The 732 also shows both temps on the wireless (carry with you) device.  It toggles back on the forth on the unit that directly connects to the probes.  Either 732 or 733 will do the job!

Ditto.  Very happy with my 732, but really like the 733.

Back