First But Roast - not pulled

Moscowbni

I'm about to cook my first butt.  It is 2.5kg, no bone.  I want to have a roast, with thick cuts of meat, not sliced for sandwiches, or pulled.  From what I've read, I should brine it per DM's recipe for 12 hours, rinse, dry and fridge for another 12 hours, then 12+ hours with maybe a mustard, and Montreal spice rub and garlic.  Cook at 235 till internal temp is 135 or 140 (maybe it will take 4-5 hours?), and let it rest covered in cooler for an hour or two.  I might try to reverse sear if the meat cools to much, but am not too excited about doing this.

Thinking of cherry and hickory or mesquite wood.

Comments, corrections, or other tips anyone?

I think you are off on your internal temp for butt roast.  Pulled would be in the 190+ and anything else would be in the neighborhood of 175.  A butt has a lot of fat to render.  A loin roast is 140. 

If it is a butt, it will be tough and chewy at 140. It will not be good. A pork loin or tenderloin would be more appropriate at that temperature, and I think is what you really want. If what you have is in fact a butt, do yourself a favor, and smoke it to 195. You can't make a butt behave like a loin.

Well, darn.  I want it to be tender and roast like.
Just translated the package from German to English.  It is a PORK NECK.  Does this make any difference?

If I cook it to 190 will I still have the ability to cut steak slices, or will it shred on me?  What is the minimum internal temp that would get it tender, but still allow for hope of thick steak like slices, 175?...or am I dreaming?  Is 235 the correct temp setting for the 2D box?

I totally agree with Dave and Kari on this.

For slicing 175 is where you want to go. You could slice at 190, but I think you would have to use an electric knife, because it would want to fall apart on you otherwise.

175 seems to be that good temperature where it has rendered most of the fat and connective collagen, yet still have the ability to slice.

Regarding the cut, pork neck would kind of be in the Boston Butt area of the hog. So probably would smoke like a butt. Could you post a picture of your meat cut and we would probably be able to tell you. It could just be the same thing as a Boston Butt, just called a different name in Germany.

Here is a chart with the Hog Meat Cuts defined as I normally see them.

PorkCutsChartLarge.jpg

I think that Boston Butt is close to what I have.  Sorry, didn't have time to take better pictures.  My modified recipe is below combining DM and others recommendations, and still open to comments:

A basic brine of:

1 quart water plus 3 quarts ice
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 head garlic minced
2 tea spoon pepper corns smashed
2 bay leaves

Put 1/3 of the water in a pan large enough to hold 1 gallon.  Add the other ingredients, and heat on medium to simmer the brine.  The idea is to melt all the salt and sugar, and help blend some of those spices into the liquid.  Heat for 15-20 minutes, never bringing to a boil.  Stir regularly.

Once the brine is blended, remove from heat and add the rest of the water in the form of ice cubes. This will immediately cool the brine.  Once all the ice melts, place the brine in the fridge to get cold.  Don't take any chances by putting the meat in a brine that isn't below 40-degrees F.  Once the brine has chilled, place the pork butt in the brine.  Leave it in the brine for about 12-13 hours. Submerge the pork in the cooled brine and weight it down with a plate so it stays submerged the entire time it is soaking.

Remove from brine, rinse, pat dry and return to the fridge uncovered for 8 to 12 hours. Then
Rub with Mustard, garlic, Montreal seasonings and wrap in plastic wrap before refrigerating it again for another 8 hours or overnight.  Touch up seasonings, and add a light coat of honey prior to placing in smoker.

Cook it at 235 with total of 5 oz of Cherry and Hickory wood (foil on the bottom of the wood chunks) and a water pan in the bottom of smoker until internal temp is 176.  Don't peek or open the smoker until internal temp is reached. (going to be hard to do this).  Once internal temp is reached, foil wrap, and let rest for 1 hour in cooler under a towel.  Reverse sear if it looks like it needs a better crust and eat immediately, otherwise cut into steaks and eat it after taking out of the cooler.

Attachments

• IMG-20170111-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170111-WA0001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG-20170110-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20170110-WA0007.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 327
That sure looks like a Boston Butt to me.

Your plan looks pretty solid too.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing the results. It has been awhile since I have done a slicer, so this just might give me the push to do one again.

Results are in.  Success with a few minor unintentional changes.  Cooked at 225 for 3 hours (bright sun resulted in setting the box temp incorrectly and it took me 3 hours to notice, then 245 for 4 more hours, took it out at 165 internal temp, let rest for 30 minutes.  Came out great!  Pictures below.

Attachments

• 20170113_095618.jpg
    20170113_095618.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 20170113_170013.jpg
    20170113_170013.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 20170113_170134.jpg
    20170113_170134.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 20170113_173848.jpg
    20170113_173848.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 354
Looks real good.  I've started buying butt steaks at my Costco and doing them on the BBQ.  IMO, moister than a pork chop and more flavor. 

The butt steak experience was what I was after...just in the style of a smoked roast.  No bun, just a roast with nice thick slices served like any other roast.  It worked!

SuperDave said:
Looks real good.  I've started buying butt steaks at my Costco and doing them on the BBQ.  IMO, moister than a pork chop and more flavor.

I have done this for many years, not realizing that they were just sliced pork butts. They are called "Blade Steaks" in my grocery stores and meat markets. I agree that they are much moister than pork chops and more flavor for sure. I typically just use a sweet rib rub just like I would use on my ribs and throw them on the grill.

It would interesting to smoke a pork butt for a couple of hours to get some smoke flavor and then slice and throw on the grill. That could be the best of both worlds.

Stephen, that looks really good!  But, I don't believe that's a Boston butt.  Looks more like 1/2 a pork loin, to me.  You can tell by the shape and grain of the meat, as well as the fat structure.  However, you are right on track on cooking a loin!  You could have actually gone 145-150 on temp, and it would have been good.  Pork loin makes the best pork sammies, sliced thin, than any other cut!  Of course, that's just my humble opinion.... ;)

You might be right about it being a loin Tony. But if it is, that is from one damn big hog! It's as wide as the fork in the picture. The roast looks like it is as big as a Boston Butt. Plus, he said translated from German to English it was called a pork neck, and the neck is a fair amount away from the loin. But it could be a discrepancy with the translation.

I would also think smoking a loin to 165 would have left it a little on the dry side.

Was there a bone in the roast? I'm just looking at the pictures on my phone, but it looks like there is some fat strips in the middle of the steak.

The mystery lives on.  :D

The translation was literal at "pork neck", and I'm sure that it was not a loin. (I know what that looks like).  There was fat throughout the roast, and it wasn't dry.  The roast did not have a bone.

Anyway, I was happy with the result!

Cheers

The neck of any animal is a cherished cut in most cultures. One of the most flavorful cuts. We are a bit squeemish here in the US, but if I could get it readily, I would absolutely buy it!

DivotMaker said:
Thanks for the clarification, Stephen!  I bet it actually was a pork neck!  Not a common cut, in the US.

I think Tony is right. It probably actually was a neck.

I know we painstakingly work on our deer necks especially on a buck, because there is a ton of meat on there if you are patient enough to cut around the vertebrae.

Back