First brisket settings?

• Thread starter Thread starter jpittssr
  • Start date Start date
J

jpittssr

O.K. I'm over the sticker shock of my shopping trip to the meat case.

I decided to make three sections of the brisket
What ever happens, I still have 2 pieces to try.

Ed, if you injected the salt brine in the meat, you may end up with a really salty brisket.  Brining is more of chemical reaction with the surface protein molecules in the meat, and is not meant to flavor the internal meat.  The purpose is to trap the moisture in the meat.  The exception to this is a curing brine for ham, where you do want the curing salt to penetrate all of the meat.  Let me know if my suspicion is right or wrong.

As for 3 days in the fridge, I don't think that's necessary at all.  Again, that's due to the salt in the brine.  A rub, with salt in it, and a low-salt injection could probably stand a couple of days, but I don't think any more than 12-18 hours is necessary (maybe not even that long). 

Just my 2¢!

DivotMaker said:
Ed, if you injected the salt brine in the meat, you may end up with a really salty brisket. 

Just my 2¢!
I always value your  2¢.

I am cooking a brisket tmo. Two lb flat.

Dalmatian Rub and wrap at 165 with a 1/4 cup of worcestershire and 1/4 of h2o, until 195, let rest for 1hour.

Ed, nice job.

I leave my brisket rest for an hour before putting on the smoker.

I keep tinkering to find the best method.

Nice job, Ed!  Congrats on that first briskie!  ;D 8)  Glad to hear the brine injection didn't make it over-salty.  The pics look great!  I agree that starting with the cold meat is the way to go.  Not knocking Franklin's method, by any means (that guy knows brisket), but I just think his method may be better suited to his type of smoker than ours.  But, I could be wrong! ???

Next time i will try the cold method. I do think letting the rub make nice overnight is the ticket. No injections, no brining, only a nice rub.

Btw, up here in the north we do sell 2# briskets. Ha!

Be nice DM. 

Ed,  is that a 2# piece from a larger brisket?  I think DM's dog has a brisket larger than that.  However, DM does have a very large dog.  I can't imagine the size of the calf that would come from. Bet it was tender.

If you are buying a quarter or half of a beef you end up with tiny portions of brisket. My share on a 1/4 beef was two three pound pieces that were trimmed way to lean.

Fine have your fun...

It was either a 5# flat or the 2#.  Considering the whole family are not a beef fans needed to spend wisely.

It was damn good. 

BTW, up North we prefer a Porterhouse steak.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Walt said:
Be nice DM. 

Ed,  is that a 2# piece from a larger brisket?  I think DM's dog has a brisket larger than that.  However, DM does have a very large dog.  I can't imagine the size of the calf that would come from. Bet it was tender.

OK, Walt! ;D  Just having a little fun!  I love all our SI brothers and sisters, no matter where they're from!

And, yes my meathead would probably yield at least a 5 lb brisket!

First of all, nice job Ed!  I tried to document a brisket last year.  I know it is somewhere on this site.  I am still intimidated, but i still am trying.  It is probably the one piece of beef that I am intent on getting right. 

I think yours looks fantastic, and I am a bit envious :).  You certainly had better results than mine. 

I also have to laugh at Tony!  Anything under 3# is CONSIDERED A STEAK!  I just simply can't compete up here in Minnesota.  That was the best quote of the day. 

es1025 said:
Fine have your fun...

It was either a 5# flat or the 2#.  Considering the whole family are not a beef fans needed to spend wisely.

It was damn good. 

BTW, up North we prefer a Porterhouse steak.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aw, come on, Ed!  The brisket WAS fantastic!  I'd just never seen one that small.  By the way, I LOVE redneck jokes, if you have any good ones!  What goes around, comes around, right! lol!

"What's a tornado, a hurricane, and a redneck divorce have in common?  Not sure what else, but one thing's for certain - someone's losing a trailer house!" ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and I DEFINITELY prefer a Porterhouse - 2 lbs, to be exact!  ;D ;D ;D

I admit that was the quote of the month!

LOL!

You guys gave me a big belly laugh!

I read need at least one belly laugh a day

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ed

Back