First brisket in the #3

IRGoode

This brisket is a 11.5 lb choice from wallyworld. I have read a lot of your posts on smoking these and have developed a plan. I plan to inject with beef broth first. I was thinking of adding some soy sauce to the beef broth but thought it might make it too salty so decided against it. Also plan to rub with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic salt. Question is how much of each? Kosher or table salt? Should I wrap and let it sit in the fridge over night? I plan to use 6 oz of wood. I only have hickory and cherry. Thinking 50/50? I'm thinking about 15 or 16 hours in the smoker at 225. I have seen folks smoke these anywhere from 225 to 250 degrees. I was thinking lower would be better? Plan to smoke it with the fat side down to an internal temp of 195 on the flat then wrap in aluminum foil for an hour or two. One water pan 3/4 full of water. All input is appreciated. Goes in the smoker at 7pm Wednesday. Thanks in advance!

Hi Bob,
I would use garlic powder and not garlic salt.  Use kosher salt, not table salt.  As for ratios, I would feel comfortable using equal parts of each.  Wrapping overnight is a good plan.  Some guys brine but rubbing and injecting works great too.  Good luck and take pics.

225 is good temp but prepare yourself for a looooong smoke.  I like 235.

Hey Bob welcome from Colorado! Your plan looks pretty solid. Since you are using beef broth and there may be some salt in there, just sprinkle what feels right on the brisket along with the rest of the rub. I use Kosher salt but it's a choice. The rest of the spices will work well with beef. No need to wrap. Inject and put on the rub and let it sit for a bit to let the salt get into the meat. 225 is my go to temp for brisket. I want it to have time for the fibers to break down in the meat. The rest of your plan looks great! Post pictures when you are done so we can live vicariously!  :)

If the Kryovac packaging is good and tight, why night toss in the back of the fridge for a week or so to wet age it. You could actually bypass injecting it. I would use a Jaccard on the flat when seasoning it. That will get more flavor down into the meat.

Here is Chris Marks (Three Little Pigs) (won American Royal 8 times) prepping a brisket at his BBQ class:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sgbX9Nxgs

Ok Dave I will use garlic powder, not garlic salt. Will go with kosher salt. Thanks for reminding me that beef broth also has salt in it Bob. I may cut down on the amount of salt in the rub. That Jaccard looks like a good idea. I may have to invest in one. It looks like it won't go in the Smoker until 7pm Thursday now.
Two more questions. Should I let it set out at room temperature for a bit before going in the smoker or straight from the fridge to the smoker? Where is the best place for the temperature probe? I read that some put it in the thickest part by the point but couldn't that layer of fat between the flat and point give a false reading?

Bob, I go for the thick part and do my best not to hit all fat. No worries! It will turn out great!  ;) I go from the frig to the smoker. The reason being, I want max smoke absorption and that happens from the coldest point until the meat reaches about 140. So setting it out for a bit cuts that margin. Just MHO.

Straight from fridge to smoker. Insert the probe from the side so the tip ends up in the thickest part of the flat. 225 is my favorite box temp. Allow plenty of time. You can always rest, wrapped in a cooler for several hours (even 3-5 hours) if done early, or wrap in foil and hold at 140 in the smoker.

Well the brisket went in the smoker at 7:30 last night to be consumed early this afternoon. I was thinking 16 hour smoke and 2 hours to rest. Wrong. When I got up at 5:30 the IT was setting at 200. I double checked with another probe and it was correct. Right now it is double foiled and wrapped in a towel in the cooler. How long can I leave it in the cooler without it drying out and what is the best way to warm these back up?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 284
Bob, I haven't personally gone past 5 hours resting in the cooler, but it was still easily warm enough to serve (but no longer to hot to handle).  Since you're looking at 8+ hours, I would leave it as is then put it in the smoker at 140 or so maybe an hour before you're ready to serve. 

The only possible concern I have with that method is the IT getting below 140 and so into the 'danger zone'.  Maybe open up the towel, poke the probe through the top (through the foil) then rewrap and monitor that way?

Ok. Thanks Steve. I don't know why it cooked so fast. I had the smoker on 225. Glad I didn't over sleep! Only 10 hours for a 11.5lb packer?

Bob, I rarely go more than an hour per pound on brisket, but I guess some go longer.  I, too, have gone less.  The meat tells us when it's done!  If I have a long hold, I double-wrap in foil, and keep in the smoker at 140.  Remove and rest an hour before eating.

I let it rest for 3 hours in the cooler and found out my son wouldn't be home until tonight, Saturday, so put it in the fridge. I put it in a foil pan today and put in the oven covered with foil with about a cup of beef broth for about 1.5 hours at 300 degrees. I had no complaints. I kept saying we have Sweet Baby Rays too but my company and my son didn't seem to care. They seemed to like it Without sauce. I bet it would have been better rite out of the smoker after a little rest but it couldn't have been much better. All in all a really good smoke. Wish I could have pulled it at 195. Lesson learned. Thanks Dave, after reading a lot of posts, I thought I was looking at 1.5 hours per pound at the least. Nice to know I am not the only one that seems to smoke a little faster.

Sorry meant to say thanks "Tony". If I decide to smoke two or three at once will I need to change the smoke time? I have a New Years party coming up.

The time will only change a little (takes longer to get the box up to temp with that much meat), but basically just go based on the biggest chunk of meat.

Back