First brisket ever

MacSmokin

I put the brisket on at 130 this afternoon. At 8 eastern time it was at about 160 , in thinking it just hit the stall. My plan was to wrap it so I took it out to do so and two things, it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be after 6-7 hours unwrapped with 8 oz of hickory and it also looked like it hadn't lost and weight. I havnt sprayed or mopped. Simple salt/pepp/ garlic rub. Cooking at 225. Should I unwrap and just let it go all night ? I have a pan of apple juice and a pan of vinegar in there. My intension was to be done around 9 and let it sit in a cooler for several hours 4-6

How many pounds is your brisket? It will take about 1 to 1.5 hours per pound. If you put it on at 1:30 pm, I'm guessing it might be done in the middle of the night... Do not spray or mop. It is not necessary with these smokers. You do not want to be opening and closing the door releasing heat and moisture. I don't wrap my brisket, but you can it you want. It's probably got enough smoke by now. 8 oz of hickory should be on the smoky side. Just let it go until it reaches 195 in the flat and/or 200-205 in the point.

thanks Kari, I ended up cooking the flat to 198/ 200. I did finish in the middle of the night lol. Put it in a cooler until this morning. After 8 hrs it was still extremely hot. So my first experience with wrapping. After about 8 hours or so the outside wasn't as dark and crusty as I expected. Wrapped it anyway. I think by the end the doness was good maybe a tad dry In the flat. Point was amazing. However I think the wrap took smoke flavor away and made it taste like a roast. I figured 8 oz was on the high end but the smoky flavor wasn't really prominent like I like. I did inject beef broth and put the salt and prop on the night before. Thinking next time I'll let it go uncovered the whole time

Justin, save the foil for the bottom of the smoker, top of the smoke box, and to wrap the finished brisket in.  ;)

I know I know.... Tony and many others say don't open, don't wrap!

I ignore this advice and wrapped brisket and it turns out tasting like a roast from the crockpot! I mean, it tastes well, but for $60 packer I want brisket. 😀

So you are in fact better off letting it go...unwrapped... And it will be dark and near perfection. To prevent a dry flat... Brine.

Dog gonnit that Tony guy seems to know more than me again. 😀

I'm making my first brisket this weekend. Only got the flat, couldn't find any packers in the stores. I gotta get a membership to Costco or something. There's a butcher 30 mins away that has prime packers for 8.99/lb but I didn't want to spend that much on my first attempt. I got 7.58 lbs choice for 6.49/lb. I trimmed the fat down a little and got to 7.13 lbs.

It's brining now in a simple brine with salt, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. I plan on brining for about 18-20 hrs. Then I'm going to apply a rub with a mustard base, wrap it and throw it in the fridge for about 12-18 hrs. I plan on tossing it in the SI2 around 11 or 12 on Friday night with 6oz of hickory and maybe some sugar maple. Hoping it's done late morning Saturday.

Can't wait to give it a try!

Phil, those brisket prices, in your neck of the woods, are highway robbery!  Holy Cow! :o  I don't pay $9 a pound for Prime ribeye steaks!  I can understand your hesitation!

You have a good plan, but I would recommend one change.  After the brine, rinse thoroughly in water, but don't apply your mustard & rub until just before it goes in the smoker.  Let the brined brisket rest in the fridge, but rub it just before you put it in the smoker.  Why?  ...Salt.  If you rub it, after brining, and rest it in the fridge that long, the salt in your rub will really penetrate and "double-brine" your brisket, which will make the surface way too salty.  If you apply the rub right before smoking, it will not allow time to have the chemical reaction of brining, so it won't penetrate the meat.  So, unless you are using a salt-free rub, save it for just before the smoke.

Ok well I'm glad it wasn't just me being cheap, it really is pricey. I've been wanting to do a brisket since I got the SI2 but have only glanced at the stores to see if they had any and didn't see much until today. I wasn't planning this smoke until I got the urge last night. I set out today to get the brisket one way or another! I was also limited in time so I couldn't go to more stores to really find the best deal. I  made a few calls to butchers and went to 2 grocery stores before grabbing the one I got. At least I feel like I got a "good" deal since the other store was 7.99/lb for choice and I paid 6.49 for mine. I'm gonna have to take a look into Costco and Sams Club ASAP to see how much cheaper I could get it from them. The savings there alone could justify the membership fee haha

Thanks for the tip on the rub too, it sounds like that could've really messed with the flavor. Reading so many diff posts and taking ideas from diff ones, it's tough to know what works with what. But that's half the fun!

I've seen some posts say they've brined for 24 hours. So I guess I'll extend the brining a few more hours so the meat doesn't have to sit in the fridge waiting to be smoked for too long.

I'd recommend Costco for brisket. Prime brisket at my Costco ranges from $2.79 to $3.79, depending on the season and beef prices. Two briskets a year will pay for your membership in savings. Not to mention all of the other great things you can buy there. Sounds like meat is pretty expensive in your part of the country, so a membership would really pay off. I would say Sam's is better for pork butts, and Costco is better for brisket.

Costco only sells boneless butts. So, that is kind of a game changer for me. My Mom and Dad live out of town and have a membership at Sam's Club. Since the only time they go there they are together, my Dad has given me his card that I use. So, I can go to both with only a membership at Costco. :) I tend to go to Costco for most things and Sam's Club for butts and a few other minor things that Costco does not carry. Sam's Club Boston Butts are by far the best quality and price that I have seen (in my area at least).

Wow that is much cheaper! Even if I can get it for under 5 over here I think it'll be good. Maybe I'll take a trip today and scope them both out over here and plan the next one.

I forget how much I got my bone in butt for, but I got it from Wegmans and don't remember feeling like it was expensive like I felt with the brisket. But I'll make note of the selections too.

Costco was the lowest price I found so I'll be going there for the next one. 4.49/lb for choice, flat only. I didn't see any packers but I'm wondering if they just didn't have them out today or if maybe you can special order something?

I just tossed the brisket in the smoker and should be ready for lunch tomorrow. I'm already starting to drool.

Attachments

• IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 297
SmokedGouda said:
Costco was the lowest price I found so I'll be going there for the next one. 4.49/lb for choice, flat only. I didn't see any packers but I'm wondering if they just didn't have them out today or if maybe you can special order something?

$4.49 sounds like the price for the untrimmed whole flat, which is a good choice if you can't get a whole packer. You might also find smaller hunks of Choice flats, that are more heavily trimmed, and more expensive. I'd avoid those. Flats don't have much fat, so you want to leave what's there. At my Costco (and most others), there really isn't anyone to talk to in the meat department. And I don't believe anyone in the store has much control over what they stock. I don't think you can special order anything. Your Costco might be different. You should definitely try to talk to someone directly at your store, either in the meat department, or at the customer service counter. See if they normally stock them (my Costco usually has 3-6 Prime packers out in the cooler at a time). If that doesn't get you results, here are a few Costco web pages that might help:
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1176
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1193
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/c/10/a_id/9

Took 12.5 hrs to get to 190 while smoking at 220. I had a pan of apple cider in the smoker. I think it turned out pretty good. It's a little drier than I would've liked but it was still very tasty. The bark was delicious and had a great texture to it. I think I'll leave a little more fat on next time, I think that might help with the dryness a bit. Also since I brined then let it sit for a few hours, I have a feeling that played a part as well. So next time I'll brine then rub it right away and then right into the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_5159.JPG
    IMG_5159.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5161.JPG
    IMG_5161.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 285
Looks tasty, Phil!  It's a learning experience, but fortunately, we're here to help and you'll master the little techniques that make a difference in no time!  Great first brisket!

Back