First brined butts

drains

Used divots brine let soak 12 hrs. Mustard binder with John Henry pecan rub into the #3 with 6oz hickory @240 deg. I'll let ya'll know how they came out. Pic below.

Attachments

• WP_20150615_001.jpg
    WP_20150615_001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 253
Dale, I'm interested to know what you think of that Pecan rub on some actual meat instead of just out of the bottle. Looks like your off to a good start.

Butts turned out juicy with good bark. John Henry Pecan Rub gave the pork a slightly sweet taste but with a very pleasant hint of pepper. I recommend trying it for yourselves.  I think I will be brining more of the meats I smoke. In all a very positive result. The butts took 16.5 hrs. to reach 195. Pics below

Attachments

• WP_20150617_004.jpg
    WP_20150617_004.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 315
  • WP_20150617_005.jpg
    WP_20150617_005.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 282
  • WP_20150617_006.jpg
    WP_20150617_006.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 313
Brine the meat, best tip I have learned on this site. 

Chicken and I do country ribs (boston butt steaks) with brine all the time now.

Additional info and the stuff I use.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/game-changer-brine/#axzz3dHoWVIMB

SuperDave said:
I've never seen a butt that light at 195.  The rub must have very little sugar in it?

Sugar is the first ingredient listed on the container followed by "spices". i can't explain why it's not dark. The rub is not very dark. The bark was good. I'm keeping them whole to pull for Sunday get together. Still got a brisket and two slabs of spare ribs to smoke before then. No problem. Happy smokin!

Glad to hear they turned out great, Dale!  From your prep pic, I'd guess the finished butts were light because you used more mustard than rub.  Don't be afraid to make that butt look like a sandy beach!  It all cooks down and really makes a great chewy bark!

By the way - does the John Henry rub have MSG in it?  Couldn't find any ingredient lists on their website (which is disappointing).

No msg. It's a no no for me. It's the first thing I look for. My wife is affected by it too. Had to give up Chinese food because of it. That hurt. The ingredients listed on my bottles label include: sugar, salt, brown sugar, spices, paprika, natural smoke flavor, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon oil and 1% sodium aluminosilicate as an anti caking agent. All I know is I think it could almost make dryer lint edible.

Back