First Boston Butt in #1

Donmac

So I bought a 8.36lb boston butt and being a big fan of brining I brined it for 12hrs. using Tony's famous brine :).

I use this rub with a mustard binder.

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbls celery salt
2 tbls garlic powder
2 tbls white pepper
2 tbls black pepper
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp sage
1 tsp cayenne

Put it in the smoker at 6:30 last night @ 200 with 4oz of cherry & 2oz apple wood.

It is now 6:00pm and meat is at 194 IT.

Will be home in 15 mins.

when it reaches 200 I will wrap with foil & a towel and let sit for an hour then its pulled pork & Bruins game!!!

I'll let you know how it comes out. I wanted a long and slow smoke so did it at 200 and it looks like my timing estimate may have been perfect. 24 hour smoke.  Fingers crossed.

It looks like you have a great plan here.

I like the ingredients in your rub. Have you used this rub before? Just wondering if it is a tried and true recipe or if you are trying it for the first time.

Did you add a water pan of some type to your smoker? with that long of a smoke, the extra moisture from a water pan would be good. I use disposable mini-loaf pans filled with Apple Cider or Beer in my Boston Butt smokes and I have yet to have anything but delicious pulled pork.

I am interested to hear how this one turns out.

BTW, its not required, but we love to see pics. :)

The rub sounds interesting.  The white pepper, celery salt, thyme and sage should be a unique flavor profile.  Sounds like a good poultry rub.  An empty cooler works well during the rest, with the towel covering it inside.

Let us see how it turns out!

Btw - I don't know how "famous" my butt brine is, but thanks! ;)

Gregg, yes I have used this rub many times and is our favorite.
I did use 2 mini loaf pans on each side of fire box 1/2 filled with a Sam Adams winter lager that I had left in the fridge.

Yes Tony I originally used this as a poultry rub and figured I would give it a try on pork. I have used it before with center cut loin roast and tasted great so I figured I would try it on the butt.

Yes 24hrs is a long smoke but I kept it at 200 and it turned out great, moist and tender with a real nice bark.
My wife said it was the best she's had, so I was happy with that.

Attachments

• 20140512_195016.jpg
    20140512_195016.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 20140512_205907.jpg
    20140512_205907.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 370
One suggestion about your pics, Don - open them in Paint and resize them to about 50% of the size you posted.  Makes them a lot easier to view.  Check out this link on posting pics:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0

Hope this helps!

Back