Finalizing my plan for smoking my 2lb 15 oz. spare ribs

SmokinSusie-Q

After reading comments from Tony and Gregg, I've decided to brine my rack of ribs overnight, Friday.  Sat. I'll  set the smoker temp. at 230 (mainly because I'm not sure whether 225 or 235 would be best based on other comments).  I'm also not sure whether I'll peek at 4, 4 1/2, or 5 hrs.  Does it really matter?  If I peek at 4 hrs., and they're not close to being done, can't I determine then how soon to recheck without doing any damage?  Also, I may reverse sear them on my gas grill for a couple of minutes on each side after taking them out of the smoker so that will increase the temp. some.  I have always seared ribs after slow cooking them in my oven and really like the crusty finish.  Then I take them off the grill and coat them with Buz and Ned's glaze.  Maybe that will not work with the smoker.  What say you, Guys?

I would check at 4 hours and if you can tell they are still a ways off, you could wait an hour. If they are close, I would check in 30 minutes.

I usually add BBQ sauce and then stick under the broiler in my oven for 5-10 minutes or so to get the sauce nice and sticky. Cleaning the cookie sheet is a lot easier to clean up then my grill.

If you are not saucing, my ribs usually come out of the smoker with a pretty good bark on them especially if you add a mustard binder. I often times just skip the sauce and serve as a side. Some of my guests just prefer to eat the non-sauced ribs. They come right out of the smoker pretty dang good without the need for a reverse sear.

For you since it sounds like you have some preferences, I would say you may need to try some different methods and find what works best for you.

Maybe I just need to try something different than what I've done before.  Isn't that half the fun?  Buz and Neds glaze is not runny like a sauce although it does make the surface of the meat a little wet.  Once I try the finished product, I may decide not to use anything.  The pictures other members have posted really look crusty and great with nothing  added after smoking.

Susie, Gregg is right, there is a decent bark right out of the smoker.  Some guys will brush on the sauce the last 30 minutes after their peek test.  Taking them to the grill also works.  I foil my baby backs so I usually finish them on the grill.  Spares, I do entirely in the smoker. 

Full spares or St Louis cut (timmed down)?

Don't be surprised if they take upward of 6 + hours total.  Also give time to foil and rest.

Just let them go, you use the word "damage" which is hard I think with pork ribs slow and low.

I just took my ribs out of the frig after thawing completely and realized the ends were tucked underneath.  They are St. Louis.  I attempted to get all the rub off that came on them (and was frozen on them) but couldn't get it all.  Then I added a little of my garlic olive oil and coated them with my own rub as suggested.  I plan to start smoking at 1:00pm and hope they'll be done before 7:00 pm for the sake of my guest.  I'm using 2 1/2 oz. hickory.  I plan to order some cherry and maybe some apple and pecan from Smokinlicious but I have so much hickory!

Give it an extra hour.  Ribs can sit foiled to rest out of the smoker.  Personally I would NOT plate them out of the smoker.  If you want to eat at 7:00 shoot for them to be done at 6:00 to 6:30

jcboxlot said:
Give it an extra hour.  Ribs can sit foiled to rest out of the smoker.  Personally I would NOT plate them out of the smoker.  If you want to eat at 7:00 shoot for them to be done at 6:00 to 6:30

+1 My St Louis Style ribs always 6.5-7.0 to finish.

Back