Fifth Smoke - First Pork Butt

Sartori42

My first attempt at Pulled Pork was an unqualified success.  The resulting meat was tender, juicy, and full of flavor.  It was the best thing I have made in my smoker so far.  Each thing I have smoked to date (ribs three times and a whole chicken), requires future modification.  This recipe, however, is perfect.  I can’t think of what I would do to improve it.

I started with a bone-in pork shoulder weighing in at 9 lb, 1.75 oz.  I bought it at my local butcher.  I’m still debating if this place is going to be my go-to meat supplier, or if I need to look into a Costco membership.

I made up a batch of DM’s pork brine Friday night.  I heated the ingredients thru, but didn’t boil it.  I didn’t add the InstaCure, since I couldn’t find any.  I adjusted the salt content to just over 1 cup.  I put the brine into my brining bucket and placed it in the fridge to cool.

On Saturday, I rinsed the meat and placed it into the brine at just before noon.  I used a marble pestle to weigh down the meat, so it didn’t float in the brine.

I took the meat out of the brine just before midnight, for 12 hours in the brine.  I rinsed it and patted dry with paper towels.  During the brining process, the meat gained a little over an ounce in weight.  I coated the shoulder in yellow mustard and Famous Dave’s Rib Rub.  It was difficult to get the rub onto the sides of the piece of meat, so I have to work on that process.  Next time, I’ll cover the sides first, then do the main top and bottom.  I found a good place to insert the thermometer probe away from the bone.  I put the meat into the smoker at almost exactly midnight, closed the door, and set the temperature for 225 degrees.  I used 6 1/8 ounces of Hickory from Smokinlicious.  It was in the low 20s at that time, but I was confident the smoke would proceed well despite this.

I recorded the following times and temperatures:
  6:00    151 degrees
10:00    160 degrees
12:00    168 degrees
13:40    176 degrees
15:15    185 degrees
16:30    190.5 degrees

I pulled the meat out at 16.5 hours.  It smelled heavenly.  I tested the meat with a hand-held thermometer, and read varying temps at different places on the shoulder.  Some of them were higher than 200 degrees.  I double wrapped it in HD foil and placed in an old Igloo Playmate cooler.  It fit like a glove.  I placed an old towel on top of the wrapped meat.  This was now about 4:45pm Sunday.  Perfect timing.  My plan was to let it rest until 6:00pm and serve.

Frankly, we couldn’t wait.  At just past 5:30, we broke into the cooler and pulled out the shoulder.  I placed the unwrapped meat into a disposable aluminum pan and dug in with my Bear Claws.  The meat came away from the shoulder bone easily.  Everyone present was grabbing meat from the pan while I was still shredding.  It was obvious at this point that the meal was going to be a resounding success.  Needless to say, we all ate to the point of pain.  We tried different BBQ sauces (we had 3 choices), and settled on no sauce or Sweet Baby Ray’s.

After dinner, I vacuum sealed five one-pound servings, and saved some for dinner in a couple days.  We will be making pulled pork again soon.  No need to change anything.

Attachments

• 1 - Meat Top.jpg
    1 - Meat Top.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 2 - Meat Bottom.jpg
    2 - Meat Bottom.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 3 - Prepared.jpg
    3 - Prepared.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 4 - In Smoker.jpg
    4 - In Smoker.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 5 - Done.jpg
    5 - Done.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 6 - Pulled.jpg
    6 - Pulled.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 7 - Bone.jpg
    7 - Bone.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 365
That is pretty much exactly the process that I use and it always works for me. The timing of starting at 11:00pm-12:00am and smoking at 225 works perfectly for me.

Regarding your meat supplier, Costco is great for ribs, pork bellies, chicken, awesome for Brisket (hard to beat their price for a prime brisket), etc. But, for pork butts, they only have boneless pork butts. So, I would find a better place for pork butts. Sam's Club is my favorite for pork butts, because you can get bone-in two-packs of butts that range from 7-9 pounds a piece. I checked this weekend and they were selling for $1.67 a pound. I like the boneless butts for making Buckboard Bacon, but not so much for pulled pork. Just an FYI.

My problem with the local butcher is that their quality is kind of hit-or-miss.  My first two attempts at ribs were using meat from the butcher, which I thought was fine, until I bought ribs at a high-end grocery near me.  Those ribs were easily twice as meaty.  I'm still trying to decide if that's a good thing or not.  I'm trying to figure out what I really want when I want "ribs".  Also, the butcher's customer service is somewhat spotty, but maybe it's better than the nothing I get at the grocery.  I have more selection at the grocery.  So, like I said, I'm still working on where I'm going to go...

Looks Great!! Maybe I will try the brine for my next butt. I saw this sign recently and thought I would share. Pulled pork has always been a favorite around my house.

Attachments

• Butts.JPG
    Butts.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 318
Back