Feeling experimental, pork back ribs

Kutch98

So I got some new rubs while I was in San Antonio and wanted to do some flavor comparisons as well as try suggestions I've read on here.

Top left: Karo syrup and Apple wood Smoke rub
Top right: Yellow Mustard and Bone Suckin' Sauce
Bottom right: Molasses and Smokehouse Maple
Bottom Left: Honey and John Henry's Pecan Rub

This will go in the smoker around noon MST and SHOULD be ready around 5pm.  Going to use Hickory for the smoke.  Reviews will be posted after I awake from my food coma.

Attachments

• 13895358_10154296700339927_1057347982074639388_n.jpg
    13895358_10154296700339927_1057347982074639388_n.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 312
I like the Applewood rub on ribs.

I also keep plenty of Famous Dave's Rib Rub in the cabinet.

When I want a little spice I go to Traeger Salmon Shake.  Sounds odd but is pretty good on ribs.

So they turned out nice and moist. As for flavors...I should have used more rub. I normally feel like i don't get much flavor from the smoke so I added a bit more wood and it ended up being to much smoke and not enough individual flavor from the rubs. Overall though, the honey and pecan had the most distinct flavor. 

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 323
I do mixed rubs and such on ribs.  I find that esp with sauce toward the end it can be hard to tell one rub from another.

An esp if you mid way wrap with honey / sugar or some sort of mid way mixture.

I ate these sauce free, didn't want any outside flavors getting mixed in.  I don't toss anything in either mid cook.  I use the no peek method.  These were done right at 4.5 hours.  I use 2 mini loaf pans with water, they drained about 3/4 of the way during cooking. 

I do!  I just wish I had had better success.  The overpowering of the smoke kind of kills it for me.  But, it was all a learning process.  less wood, more rub. 

Did you weigh the wood? how much did you use? a lot of us have a scale and weigh it. personal taste differs on this one but i find 3.5-4 ounces of hickory does the trick. i believe DM goes lighter. it might be the smokinlicious wood he uses vs my big box store wood.

btw! just ordered some S-licious myself!

Sorry for the slow answer.  Normally for a butt I do 6-8oz, little less for a rack of ribs.  I eyeballed this one and guessed.  I was lazy on using the scale that was within arms reach.  I have some Karo Syrup lightly spread out on the ribs and then put a thicker coating of JH Pecan Rub on there.  Will smoke them tomorrow with Hickory.  That Ive measure out.  haha.

Back