Fall Fattie

BedouinBob

I had a hankerin' for a fattie this week so I went after it! Made a bacon weave with Italian sausage. Pot cheddar and some I Italian cheese mix in the middle with greens an more seasoning on top. Rolled it up and put a light coat of bbq sauce over it. Cooled in the frig for a few hours then into the smoker with 2 oz cherry until it registered 150. Finished in a 500 deg oven to crisp up the bacon. Turned out great! BTW the smoking meat website is having a fattie throw down through the middle of the month if you are so inclined.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 360
I've always wanted to try one of these but weaving bacon scares me off.  I buddy made and gave me a fattie filling tool that needs to get tested.  That looks really good, Bob. 

99c63592-2306-4e30-ae5c-f05854f2c781_zpsuyv8bgiq.jpg

4d396283-36ba-4f1a-ad28-105a00a85a81_zpsp1tontnl.jpg

Guys, don't let the weave scare ya! It is actually really easy. Lay about 10 slices of bacon parallel, fold back every other strip, and lay a bacon slice perpendicular. Flip the folded back slices over the perpendicular slice and fold back the alternate slices. Continue until you get to the other end of the weave. I guess I need to give a "weaving course" the next time I make one. The great thing is that if you "mess up" you get to cook the bacon and have a BLT! You also don't need the weave at all but then everything is better with bacon! If you choose not to weave, just make sure you cool the fattie in the refrigerator before you smoke so it holds it's shape.

Bill, exactly the same except with bacon!  ;) Dave, you have the best friends ever. I saw a way of making a fattie stuffer made out of PVC but steel?? Looks great!  :)

I have seen the pvc one and like this steel version much better......now about that fall fattie......I would also hit that fattie in the spring, fall and winter  8)

Scott, I know what you mean. I am toying with doing a breakfast fattie. I saw one that had cheese, potatoes, onion, and an egg INSIDE the fattie. I will probably give this a try and see how it works out. Looked like the egg was raw when put in and cooked during the smoke. Interesting idea...

BedouinBob said:
Bill, exactly the same except with bacon!  ;) Dave, you have the best friends ever. I saw a way of making a fattie stuffer made out of PVC but steel?? Looks great!  :)

Bob, just you do not leave any opening on the fattie as you would on the pie. Very nice recipe.

Back