Eye of Round!

TinyA

I've been reading posts here for a long time and never posted. I appreciate all of the recipes and advice I've gotten so far!
Thought I'd post tonight because I had a great success with one of the lesser used cuts, Eye of Round.
I have a recipe for (really) slow roasted eye of found that's great, and I thought it would be perfect smoked. The recipe, from Cooks' Illustrated, states that when cooking slowly, the meats' enzymes act as natural tenderizers below 122*. The recipe calls for salting the meat ( 1 Tbsp/lb) for 18-24h, searing, and roasting at 225 for 2-4 h.
I followed the salting instructions (without measuring) and left it in the fridge for 2.5 days. I was going to smoke it earlier, but got busy...
Today, I sprinkled the round with a little of the brisket rub from amazing ribs.com, and put it in to smoke. It was a 4.25lb and I used 4.5 oz hickory/pecan mix. I started it at 12:30 at 200*
At 3:30, it was about 110 and I wanted it to slow down and keep it under 122 as long as I could. I turned the smoker down to 150. My goal temp was 130, and the roast finished at about 7:30.
I let it rest about 40 min before slicing thinly- perfect! The meat was juicy and medium rare from the very ends to the middle, and it tastes delicious! Also, easy to slice and almost shred with a bread knife.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 427
Wow!

Welcome and certainly that is a tough act to follow.

I remember these posts... And then simply search this forum the next time I want to try one of these recipes.

Thanks.

Eye of round is my go to pastrami cut now.  If you want to experiment a little next time, cure one for about a week and smoke it.  Just excellent. 

The taste and texture were great! Tender, but not mushy and a good amount of smoke flavor. I had some on a salad with Thai peanut sauce and my husband had a roast beef and cheddar sandwich. It was still tender after grilling the sandwich. i will definitely be trying this one again!

TinyA said:
The taste and texture were great! Tender, but not mushy and a good amount of smoke flavor. I had some on a salad with Thai peanut sauce and my husband had a roast beef and cheddar sandwich. It was still tender after grilling the sandwich. i will definitely be trying this one again!
+1

Nice job, TinyA!  We appreciate all your comments in your signature line, but would love to see a first name!

You have found the low & slow secret to beef!  I have been a proponent of this method for a long time.  Now, let me introduce you to the "reverse sear!"  Smoking at these low temps just doesn't do the surface justice.  So, to get a nice browned exterior, heat your oven as high as it will go (500+) after you remove the beef from the smoker (covered in foil to rest).  On a baking rack, put it in the hot oven to sear the outside.  This should take around 8 minutes.  You end up with a beautifully seared exterior, without effecting that wonderful edge-to-edge pink center!  It's the finishing touch!

Thanks, Guys! I will definitely try that for the next one. I like to have a smoking project each weekend. Next up is bacon  :D

Back