does the butt go in tonight or tomorrow?

40 caliber

Ok  I am confused. I have a 7.5lb boneless butt ready to go for pulled pork. (no bone ins were available).
I have it marinating in the DM brine for 15 hours.
I have read if you brine it can be done in less time . (7-8 hours?). I hear a 7lb butt could take 15 hours.

the question is
1. do I put it in this evening around 11? or will it be overcooked by 7am when I get to it?
2. do I put it in 5am sunday or will I be smoking sunday night till midnight? I need to go to work tomorrow!

let me know your expert thoughts
Tom

Tom, I would put it in tonight late. Figure 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. Put it in at 235 and pull it at 190 IT. You will be fine. Oh yeah, if you have a digital controller, you can make the last program to be set to 140 and you have an instant hold if it is finished while you nap.  :)

BedouinBob said:
Tom, I would put it in tonight late. Figure 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. Put it in at 235 and pull it at 190 IT. You will be fine. Oh yeah, if you have a digital controller, you can make the last program to be set to 140 and you have an instant hold if it is finished while you nap.  :)

Thanks Bob, I just received my 3D but I am cooking this in my 2. the 3d just got seasoned and I am trying to make sure I understand it first. I figured I would go with old tried and true. until I have the other figured out.
1.5-2  hours is about 10 hour to 14 hours. I've had a long day, let's see how late I can hang in there!

Back