Cure vs marinade

Sarowe

There are a few recipes here for jerky marinade that do not use any additional cures.  Joes recipe looks very good.  Do I need to add a curing salt to this for safety?

Absolutely!  Never marinade jerky; cure it!  Look for cured jerky recipes, or add Instacure #1 to your favorite brine.  If it's a dry rub cure, use Instacure (Prague powder) #2.  Uncured jerky is asking for trouble, quick!

It depends if you are cooking for yourself or someone you don't like. The Cure keeps you from dying so it's kind of a big deal.

You can use a wet marinade, just add the appropriate ratio of cure to weight of meat.

Pork Belly said:
It depends if you are cooking for yourself or someone you don't like. The Cure keeps you from dying so it's kind of a big deal.

You can use a wet marinade, just add the appropriate ratio of cure to weight of meat.

+1!  Well-said, Brian! Pure honesty! ;D

So here is the marinade posted by Joe, another member

1/2 cup soy sauce (I use Kimlan Ponlai soy sauce ... it's killer)
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup aged white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I use La Choy)
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp liquid smoke (delete this if you're doing it in the smoker)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp red pepper flakes

If I wanted to add a cure what guidelines would you suggest?

How much curing salt depends on the amount of meat you are curing.  Too much can be toxic, and too little won't get the job done.  I use equilibrium brining, which is very precise.  To add cure to a marinade, I'm not sure.  You might want to learn about equilibrium brining; it's not that hard.  You use a calcutor, and a scale, and you end up with very predictable - and repeatable - results.  You can factor-in the ingredients of Joe's marinade.  Here's a link to the difference in brines:

Brines 101

Here's how I cure jerky with an EQ brine:

Brine-Cured Jerky

Sarowe said:
Interesting read.  Thank you

Your welcome!  Understanding the science of brining has elevated my skill level immensely.  I can now predictably, and repeatedly, get the results I'm looking for!

Back