Cubanos - Super Pic Heavy!

RG 2.0

I felt like making some Cubans so I bought a Boston Butt and made up a marinade, basically a mojo and marinated the butt overnight. I actually cut out the bone before marinating so that's why I trussed it (I know someone would've asked, lol)

I also had a pork loin in the freezer for eons so I took it out and thawed it and made up a pineapple, ginger, soy, honey, acv, garlic, brown sugar, onion powder, and sesame oil marinade for it. It also marinated overnight. I fired up the PBC and hung the butt on there and two hours later added the loin. A chunk of apple wood was along for the ride. The butt was dusted with a little coarse pepper and kosher salt and the loin got a dusting of Coffee Rub.

Once both were where I wanted them IT wise (butt at 155° and loin at 145°) I pulled them and tented them while my wife made some homemade tater chips. This allowed the carry over heat to cook the meat just a tad more. While my wife was busy making chips, I tried out my new slicer that arrived today (after washing the parts to clean of machine oils of course). I set the slicer to slice the butt SUPER thin. It was so thin it only had one side :P

The rest of this epic sandwich's story shall be told along with some pictures okay? Okay.

Here are the next 2 contestants on the PBC is right!
cuban01.jpg

cuban02.jpg

I caught these 2 piggies smoking!
cuban03.jpg

cuban04.jpg

Slicing the mojo pork and "The Build"
cuban05.jpg

cuban06.jpg

cuban07.jpg

cuban08.jpg

cuban09.jpg

cuban10.jpg

On the panini press
cuban11.jpg

Served with some chips
cuban12.jpg

Here, take a bite.....it's tasty!
cuban13.jpg

Slicing the loin a little thicker
cuban14.jpg

Served on a Hawaiian Dinner Roll with a homemade sweet and sour sauce (pineapple preserves, horseradish, mustard), red onion, lettuce and tomato
cuban15.jpg

I have enough meat left over to feed an army so into foodsaver bags it will go for later days. Thanks for looking!!

Libohunden said:
Jesus Christo!  That looks amazing!

That reminds me, I need to make a Monte Cristo Sandwich at some point, lol.

SconnieQ said:
I'm starting to think I need to move to Georgia ;) Which slicer did you buy?

Bring it on! I have a full finished basement with 2 bedrooms and a full bath and the outdoor kitchen is right outside the back door :)

This is the slicer I bought : Deli Slicer

There are several on Amazon that look just like this, same specs, everything. They just cost a little more for whatever reason. This unit is made in China (big surprise!) and the box does not even have a brand name on it nor does the slicer have a name on it! That way it's easy for any company to say it's theirs I guess. I also found them on Ebay but the power was lower on some of them. I could've saved maybe $30-$50 by buying on Ebay but I like using Amazon Prime since part of my purchase goes to charity AND I was able to do one day shipping. I'm impatient like that I guess.

My old slicer is this one : Cheapo Depot Slicer

I'd like to know which Panini grill you have?  I haven't had one in years but your food channel quality pics just sold me that I need to get one again!

Libohunden said:
I'd like to know which Panini grill you have?  I haven't had one in years but your food channel quality pics just sold me that I need to get one again!

LOL, thanks! It's just one that I got a while back, maybe 7 years ago, at either Wally World or Target. It's a Hamilton Beach Panini Press.

I found it! Target must be where I got it. This is it exactly - Panini Press

Back