Crown Roast

grogorat

I went to my local butcher to pick up a few beef short rib plates to smoke (which were awesome) and noticed that they offered a crown roast: a large disk shaped cut of meat surrounded by a bunch of trimmed down ribs like a crown with a center plug of fat in the middle.
Has anyone tried smoking one and if so, any recommendations?
Should I treat it like a rib roast?

Gary, it is a pork rib roast so you could treat it as any other bone in rib roast. Make sure to post pics. It should be great.

It's bone-in loin chops, tied in a circle.  Brine, if able, otherwise smoke it to 145 and it will be great!

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions!
I want to say it was beef as it was in the beef section but I failed to ask.

I've never seen a beef crown roast, but that doesn't mean it wasn't!  I'd love to see one, though!  Crown roasts are traditionally pork loin chops. Was it red meat, from what you could see?

DivotMaker said:
I've never seen a beef crown roast, but that doesn't mean it wasn't!  I'd love to see one, though!  Crown roasts are traditionally pork loin chops. Was it red meat, from what you could see?

A beef crown roast would be gigantic, and crazy expensive. It would be a whole bone-in prime rib roast with the bones frenched. It might even have to be two rib roasts tied together. Seems we'd be talking in the hundreds of dollars here. I find that center plug of fat to be an interesting detail. I've never really seen that.

SconnieQ said:
A beef crown roast would be gigantic, and crazy expensive. It would be a whole bone-in prime rib roast with the bones frenched.

I know!  That's why I'd love to see one!  I'd love to smoke one even more! ;) ;D ;D

Apologies but I didn't take a pic but it was about the diameter of a large pizza and about 2 inches thick and the meat was a deep red.  Could be pork too.

Gary, if they called it a crown rib then it was pork. I don't think they do that sort of thing with beef because of the size. Tony's suggestion on brining if possible would be good too.

Ok, thanks!  The next time I'm there I'll ask the butcher to confirm but I think you're right that it's probably pork.

Back