Country Style Ribs?

Luke

Has anyone ever tried to smoke country style ribs? If so, what was your method and how did they turn out?

Country Style Ribs are not ribs they are thick cross cuts from a Boston butt or the end portion of a bone in pork loin. However they can be very cheap and tasty eating. Season them as you would a slab of ribs and allow them to hang out in the fridge overnight. lay them out on your racks allowing for space between then. There is a good bit of connective tissue and interlaced fat so you will need a nice long smoke to break them down. All that melting fat will make the tender. Run it around 240 for five hours on no more than 4.5 ounces of wood. Check the condition, keep cooking if needed. No need to add wood if you are continuing cooking they have taken all the smoke the need at this point, your working on tender. When done sauce them up and run them under the broiler or on top of the grill. A gas grill is fine for this as they already have smoke flavor. I hope this helps.

Personally I wouldn't use more than 2 ozs of wood for any ribs, 2.5 max. Anything more is overkill and may result in a very over-smoked flavour.

Boston butt brine for 4-6 hours (overnight not needed due to thickness):

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1608.0

Rinse, yellow mustard and rub, in the smoker @ 240 for 5-6 hours with a water pan of apple juice.  No more than 2-3 oz of wood.  I'll do a post on these next time I do some.  :D

Back